Shih tzu with allergies?

I have a 16 month old female shih tzu she is just pet quality I have been feeding her Science diet since she was a puppy. She has done fine on the food. But I have noticed she has red staining on her tummy and feet. I have brought her to the groomer , vet, nothing is helping we have even switched food from science diet to Canidae she has gotten worse. Next step is the University Of Minnesota Vet hospital but I want to know if their is any thing I can try for her. And shampoos, foods? My vet said it may be the grass. We live in Minnesota so we get plenty of snow she is fine in the snow her feet are white.

I attached a picture of her

the first picture is from last year the second one is more current.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweet_shih_tzus/47749...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweet_shih_tzus/56629...

I have noticed she tends to itch all the time that was why she went to the groomer I made an "emergency" appointment for a flea bath. I did not see any but I wanted to make sure. We have trained our shih tzus to potty on the rocks. I make sure the shampoo I use is all off. I will look into feeding a different food.

Thanks Jennifer for the advice will try

And Kittykat she is adorable

Thanks Jennifer for the advice will try

And Kittykat she is adorable

Thanks Jennifer I looked at Canidae Pure Sea with salmon it looks to be better or the single grain protein plus formula. We will be going to the pet store tomorrow to get some.

She bites at her toes and she licks her tummy.

• Favorite Answer

Dogs can develop allergies at any stage of life.

My Edward has sudden and severe seasonal allergies.

I would try to strip down the diet completely. If she is worse on the Canidae, try to switch the protein.

The most common triggers are corn, wheat and soy, but chicken, beef, pork, and lamb can cause reactions too.

I had a mixed mutt that had to be on Kangaroo as a protein source to stop his itching.

EDIT: It is certainly worth a try before you spend all of the money on the University Vet. Try going with a food that has very minimal ingredients. Beet pulp is another one that used to set my dog off. Sweet potato didn't, but regular potato did. Many have success with fish-based formulas, but some dogs have reactions to those as well.

I would give yourself a good month or two. Try swapping her food to a grain-free food with a different protein source. Im betting that is the problem. Having more of a certain meat source in the Canidae than in the SD would cause a bigger reaction.

Also is she biting herself a lot? We found with Edward (he is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) that a spray bottle filled with 50% white Vinegar and 50% water spritzed over his body especially in his "chewy" areas, would help him. He smelled like salad, but he stopped biting himself. Also ask your vet about antihistamines. Somethings like benadryl can be given with the vets consent.

your shih tzu is adorable . Does she itch all the time? Perhaps you could feed her a super premium dog food. Try something like Evo . small bites. Or a food that has no grains , I would try canned food too that is high in protein and is without grains. Make certain that she does not have any shampoo left on her after bathing. Clean her hair brushes and combs. Keep her off the grass too. See if any of these changes help.

It sounds to me that she has the same thing my 7 year old has.

Her entire belly and legs are raw and red. The vet says that she has something similar to an allergic reaction to... something. At first she was put onto Hydrocortozone (spelling) but that's been unpractical to apply to her entire underside so the vet has put her on steroids for the next 10 days.

i notice on her paws there are some red stains from licking she definitely has allergies have you tried a grain free food ? like wellness simple Solutions its made for dogs that have allergies,sensitive tummy's,and itching skin it come in three different flavors like lamb and rice duck and rice and Salmon and rice. i have a boxer and i have her on the lamb and rice and just after 10 days on the food i saw a difference . my boxer has dry flaky skin,allergies,sensitive tummy and and she is likeing food by alot. you may want to research about the food. go to this web www.google.com and type in wellness simple solutions dog food hope this helps.

I strongly recommend that you have your dog taken to a veterinarian's office and see what they can do for her.

Good Luck!

Source(s): Jesus Christ Himself, The Christian Bible, Reality, Yahoo! Answers, My Mind.