? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Which book should I choose for summer reading?

I'll start IB English next year and I have to read a book by one of the authors from the following list.

1.Kurt Vonnegut

2.J.D. Salinger

3.J.R.R. Tolkien

4.F. Scott Fitzgerald

5.George Orwell

6.Ernest Hemingway

7.Charlotte Brontë

8.Jane Austen

I'd like to read a book that's not too boring, but still would be useful for my IB English class. Can you help me choose?

Best Answer

Sense & Sensibility or Persuasion by Jane Austen were my favorite Austen books.

If you're into romance, it's Austen all the way. Her books can take a while to get into, but don't give up on them. I'd recommend Pride and Prejudice if you chose her. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is another good read if you're into romance, but it's also very long and can be hard to get into.

The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald is also very good. It's a post-WWI/Lost Generation story about the American dream. Hemingway's books are in the same time period, and also generally tend to focus on similar themes. Both of the above are fairly easy to read.

I would recommend against Salinger, at least in the case of The Catcher in the Rye. I was not a fan of the novel at all, although I know others who loved it. It's a coming-of-age story that has very little plot action.

I've read a little of Tolkien, and I enjoyed what I read, but I can't really speak as to whether or not he would be good to read for an English course.

I haven't read any of the other authors, but I hope this helps!

• KC

What's an IB English class? Anyway, I've taken honors and am taking AP next year; the best book I know of you could read by one of those authors is Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It's packed with irony and questions of morality; a major, well-done theme is science vs. religion. The dark humor (and non-dark humor) makes it one of the more entertaining classics.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway is a good book for understanding the adverse non-physical effects of war on people; it's about several American war veterans in Europe struggling with decadence. (Though All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque is a much better war novel [about soldiers actually on the front, not afterwords]; read it if you can.) It's not long (neither is Cat's Cradle) and I didn't find it boring.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger are very good books, but I haven't deeply analyzed them, though I usually overlook the obvious. The Lord of the Rings (and prequel The Hobbit) by J.R.R. Tolkien aren't bad, but are very descriptive and I got bored reading them.

The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) is one of those books that people either love or hate (I love it). It has a lot of description but is also very short and a great classic.

Catcher in the Rye (Salinger) falls under that same love-or-hate polarizing category, mostly because most people haaate the main character.

If you like romances or family dramas I'd read Sense & Sensibility (Austen) or the more famous Pride & Prejudice.

Source(s): years of reading everything.

right here's a huge form of great books, all by utilising residing authors: Bel Canto ~ Ann Patchett chilly Mountain ~ Charles Frazier Lonesome Dove ~ Larry McMurtry The Milagro Beanfield conflict ~ John Nichols Clockers ~ Richard cost Empire Falls ~ Richard Russo A Map of the international ~ Jane Hamilton Dinner on the Homesick eating place ~ Anne Tyler Gentleman and gamers ~ Joanne Harris the homestead of Sand and Fog ~ Andre Dubus III The Poisonwood Bible ~ Barbara Kingsolver Barn Blind ~ Jane Smiley A Thread of Grace ~ Mary Doria Russell The issues They Carried ~ Tim O'Brien Neverwhere ~ Neil Gaiman vivid lights, great city ~ Jay McInerney decrease than 0 ~ Bret Easton Ellis there is something for anybody right here, so i'm hoping it helps you come across what you're searching for. All of those authors produce different stable books too. delight in.

Vonnegut would be a good choice for not boring, I would recommend Slaughter-House Five. It's about a man who is un-stuck in time and hops around to different parts of his life. During this life he is in the war and at one point is abducted by aliens who look like toilet plungers with a hand who put him in a zoo. This is not the best summary, but it's an interesting book.

• Kenzie

I've never read any of these authors, but I looked up each one, and to me, these books looks good to me:

Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

Vonnegut's first novel spins the chilling tale of engineer Paul Proteus, who must find a way to live in a world dominated by a super computer and run completely by machines. His rebellion is a wildly funny, darkly satirical look at modern society.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

In his short story "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," F. Scott Fitzgerald provides a humorous and touching journey that reveals what it's like to be born old and age in reverse.

The Foundling by Charlotte Bronte

Abandoned as a baby, Edward Sydney finds a “protector” in Mr. Hasleden, a rich local landowner who declares an interest in the child and claims him as his own. The boy grows up believing Hasleden to be his father, but after his death, Edward discovers evidence of his real name and the circumstances of his birth. Full of curiosity about his true origins, he sets off on a journey to the mythical kingdom of Verdopolis. There, after several adventures, Edward meets and falls in love with the noble Lady Julia, only to find that she is betrothed to another. Charlotte Brontë is best remembered for her perennially popular novel, Jane Eyre.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her impulsive behaviour leaves her open to gossip and innuendo. Meanwhile Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love—and its threatened loss—the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love.

Hope you find a book you love!

Source(s): Goodreads.com
  • Maria

I'd definitely recommend Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It's really good.

Fitgerald- the great gatsby short and good

DO NOT READ TOLKIEN HE IS SOOOOOOOO BORING.