Shall we weep at the end of exploring the great unknown in our own vehicles?

Bye-bye space ... Bye-bye shuttles ... Hello Russian cabs ... (hangs head)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Surely, and the pathos of it all..

THERE was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,

The earth, and every common sight,

To me did seem

Apparell'd in celestial light,

The glory and the freshness of a dream.

It is not now as it hath been of yore;—

Turn wheresoe'er I may,

By night or day,

The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The rainbow comes and goes,

And lovely is the rose;

The moon doth with delight

Look round her when the heavens are bare;

Waters on a starry night

Are beautiful and fair;

The sunshine is a glorious birth;

But yet I know, where'er I go,

That there hath pass'd away a glory from the earth...

Apollo.. Skylab.. the Saturn V rocket, the Space Shuttle.. so sad. So sick..!!! And, can you believe.. once upon a time, America was a true interplanetary society..? We not only walked upon the Moon - we DROVE around on the Moon..!!!!! There is NO WAY America just ..phhffft, threw away all of our immense science, technology, hardware.. manufacturing capabilities.. just junked & destroyed or left to rot & rust away into history. No, it was planned.. and slowly.. slowly removed from us.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

By all means "weep" that a long and variably successful programme is ending. But it is American politicians who should "hang heads" in shame that no follow-on project exists.

NASA has been "exploring the great unkown" with robots since the 1970s when it should have been doing so with astronauts. If this new multi-purpose crew vehicle is ever built and a new rocket to launch it ever materializes, then what's the destination?

No good blaming just Obama when NASA's leadership last decade proposed building a Moon base and going trips to Mars on a shoestring. Most of Congress wasn't so enamoured either and did nothing to increase NASA's budget. But those "Russian taxi cabs" were always in the plan once the shuttle flights concluded in 2010. The problem was, even under the old Bush plan, NASA would not have the capability to launch astronauts to the International Space Station because it was supposed to be deorbited in 2016.

Do you see a pattern? Compare NASA's modest kitty with that of the Pentagon: $18 BILLION vis-a-vis $700 BILLION. And it gets worse, Americans are largely clueless about the identities of the astronauts NASA launches to space each year. And ask them what the Dawn mission is all about without Googling it first, and they'd be just as confused. It's a combination of things, but apathy is the straw which has broke the NASA that we've known over the years.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

We're not saying good bye to space, just the space shuttle, which had a good long run.

And we weren't exactly exploring with it. We were mostly doing milk runs to the space station, an experiment which hasn't borne much fruit.

P.S. I can't agree with Masseur. Our unmanned interplanetary probes have yielded amazing knowledge. Sending people would have just been very expensive and time-consuming icing on that cake.

• 10 years ago

No.

We will dance for joy when the SpaceX Dragon is able to fly astronauts to orbit at a lower cost and higher safety than the Shuttle or Soyuz or any Chinese rocket.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

You can have a glimpse of the future space vehicles in the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW59zNjtB9w

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8EYlSyciFc

Youtube thumbnail

• 10 years ago

And if Boris gets his way, beating drums and dancing round bonfires is about all we'll have left.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

AMERICAN TAXPAYERS REJOICE AND SING HALLELUJAH!

LET'S ALL BEAT ON DRUMS AND DANCE AROUND A BONFIRE!

• Evolve
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

No!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.