Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians: How would you explain this without evolution?

A mutation in the GULO gene caused humans to no longer be able to synthesize Vitamin C, so humans must take in Vitamin C from their diets to prevent scurvy. All primates and bats lost this synthetic ability for the same reason, but other mammals retained this ability. How to explain this without evolution?

@ Scott many have died of scurvy. And God placed a defective gene in our genome? Why place it there at all? Why not just leave it out? And why the distribution of genes in some animals and not others?

The gene became defunct 63 million years ago. According to Wikipedia,

Loss of GULO activity in the primate order occurred about 63 million years ago, at about the time it split into the suborders haplorrhini (which lost the enzyme activity) and the more primitive strepsirrhini (which retained it).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.13...

The paper from which the Wiki article used information is highly technical and requires you pay to read it. I would guess that they used molecular clocks to date the time at which it became defunct.

The following is also useful, but there's too much to quote here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry, are you attempting to reason with Christians about evolution? Are you attempting to use scientific evidence to prove your case to a Christian? Perhaps you don't realize that secular scientists and religious people have utterly different approaches to understanding the world. The secular scientist asks "What is true?" and then tries to discover this through hypotheses, theories, experiments, research, reason, etc. The religious person puts their foot down and declares "THIS is true and there is NO QUESTION about it. It's definitely 100% true because I feel it in my heart and my Bible tells me so and that's that." Then, in vain efforts to appear to be rational, the religious person tries to gather evidence to "prove" that he is correct. Anything that contradicts him is dismissed as "atheist logic" or "Satan's lies". Anything that supports him is proof that he's correct. He can't lose.

How did they know it was lost? When did it happen?

I know I'm not actually answering the question, but I ask questions before making judgments, or at least try to. Do you have a link to the scientific paper?

EDIT: email it to me if you can, please? I know that articles in reports aren't designed to tell certain things, and many scientists have excluded the guesses and replaced them as facts for public consumption for various reasons. So I don't trust newspaper or sites reports if they have a claim concerning evolution. The papers I've read that I could understand seem to leave in the guesses, because they are writing to colleagues.

• ?

Did it occur to you that maybe God made us that way to begin with? Vitamin C is a very abundant vitamin, it's not like it's hard to find. It naturally occurs in a lot of the foods we eat anyways. Most primates live in areas with lots of vegetation and eat lots of fruit so they don't really need to synthesize it anyways. Besides, wouldn't evolution say that those who CAN synthesize vitamin C would be more likely to survive because they are the fittest? Species that can't most likely die out in favor of those who can do it.

Thousands of years ago, what the bible calls fallen angels (Lucifer etc.) genetically influenced our species against the will of God. This may have resulted in us receiving souls, it certainly has caused women untold problems in child birth, which are still a problem to this day even after thousands of years. The first of these hybrid children were known as the Nephilim, some call them Aryans. These angels were most likely advanced beings from another planet and they brought our species forward by thousands of years through mixing their genes with us (giving us the knowledge of good and evil to become self conscious). As well as being much bigger than us, they have magic like techology also.

The good angels were disgusted with this and labelled the stain on humanity’s genetics as original sin. They genetically altered the purest man alive and limited his age and his families age to 120 (verified by the Hayflick Limit) before wiping out the rest of the world through a great flood. At this point the misbehaving immortals were trapped under the earth in the bottomless pit or the abyss (Apollo etc.).

Later the Jewish race were given technology to finish the job and kill any remaining Nephilim on Earth, however our race was stained to some degree, perhaps blessed, with the genetic signature of these beings.

Jesus came to rid the Earth of original sin and teach us how to be good to one another. He died in order to get his message out there and rose from the dead leaving us with the shroud of Turin as evidence. He rose into the clouds in front of his disciples and disappeared behind a cloud.

A long time went by, but recently Hitler was given technology (flying saucers, bombs, rockets) to avenge the Aryan Nephilim, killing millions of Jewish people. Indeed he tried to restore these genetics. The technology was given to him by some renegade fallen angels. If hitler had taken the Earth they would have tried to set up the Disastrous Abomination in the Holy Place.

Evidence galore, Creationists are whores.

The proper christian answer is:

"Don't confuse me with facts.

I have no clue.

I don't like your attitude.

God works in mysterious ways."

oh thats evolution all right, evolution is why we have to have a stupid flu shot to keep us from getting sick. whats that have to do with gods existance?

i believe in that evolution, but i dont believe we began as micro organisms

• M

It must be because god hates figs and wants everything to eat them!!!

Evolution is bullsh!t my friend.

god did it