Can I get into the University of Michigan?

I'm about to go into my senior year and I'm just wondering if I have what it takes to be accepted. MY ACT score is a 33, SAT is 1930 (pretty disappointing), and a 3.25 GPA. Mostly, I'm concerned with how low my GPA is and if it's going to be balanced by my ACT. I'm also volunteering at the local hospital. Would this be enough to be accepted?

Also have taken multiple AP and IB courses in previous years. My schedule next year is AP Physics, AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, IB World Literature Year 2, French IV, and Spanish I. I go to a public school if that makes a difference

Favorite Answer

Probably not. Even if you were in-state, that is not a record that gets one into UofM, but not like anyone knows for sure.

People with records like yours get into Michigan State or Western Michigan University.

"if it's going to be balanced by my ACT" Regrettably the answer is certainly not. The ACT exam is easy, as you found out when you got a 33, the SAT is harder (as you also know now), but even still what matters in college is not so much your competency up to this point, but if you know how to work hard and to succeed, this is why GPA is so much more important. The workload at University of Michigan is such a huge step up from anything you will see in high school, it is pretty impossible to imagine until you actually experience it for yourself. The admissions committee want to admit people who are likely to succeed, GPA is pretty much the best measure they have to try and determine if you can succeed or not. Your performance on one exam, even if the ACT was a hard or meaningful exam, if that were to show that you are capable, ultimately it is not substantial because this would show a contradiction: you would be competent but lazy given your grades (at least that is all one can really guess to be the reason), potential is not what matters in the end here, what matters is can you and will you work hard. Such information is not relayed by standardized tests. Further, both the ACT/SAT are not hard exams, they do not tell much of anything about a student's aptitude, which is why it is further given less weight.

There are over 30,000 high schools in the US, you do the math for how many awesome applicants there will be to University of Michigan. You have to compete against everyone else for a spot in their school. It is often hard to understand the quality of your competition from the standpoint of high school, but just think about it. You have to answer the question: why accept you over other, perhaps more qualified, applicants? If you can figure out the answer to that, then tell them, if you cannot find an answer then neither will an admissions committee.

You are not doing any extracurriculars? It would not help at this point unless you were some national champion in some event, but just wondering. Everyone else is doing extracurricular activities as well as getting a lot of volunteer hours. You have to get on the same plane as the competition if you want to have a hope of getting in.

Remember as you start taking honors/AP/IB courses, what matters if your raw GPA, not weighted. If you cannot get As in those courses, by all means do not take them, it only reflects negatively on your abilities, your decision making skills, and hints of you having a skewed perception of yourself and your abilities. You do not want to show colleges that you plateau'd all ready at high school level courses, if you can only manage Bs in advanced classes in high school, how could such a student handle anything at the college level? (let along UMich courses)

Sorry if my plainly spoken response is coarse. I only mean to give you a clear perspective about this whole application process. Best of luck with your college applications.

Edit: While I acknowledge the opinion of the user below me, ultimately she is speculating and going by what she heard. I have been through the whole process, it is difficult to understand from a high school perspective what it is like to try and get into a top school like Michigan.

Also, in refutation of the below poster, you have not taken "really difficult classes" you took the standard courses. Getting a 3.25 GPA shows that you cannot handle these courses and is not a good measure to expect you can do well in Michigan. Yes, you have taken multiple AP/IB courses, so does everyone else, but they do better. Anyway, you will find out when you apply whether or not you can get in. To give you false hope and to suggest you can get in though is just irresponsible in my opinion, especially from someone still in high school. It is nice to say you can get in, and I would if I could,but I cannot.

Source(s): BSE, Univ. of Michigan, 2007. No one below a 3.5 GPA got into UMich from my (Michigan) high school that I know of.

I'm not going to be as cynical as the person above, but I'm also not going to give you false hope.

You have a chance. Everyone has a chance. But your GPA and lack of extracurriculars may be a turn off. Sorry.

I know the seniors in my school who were excepted. Top 50 in class, 3.8 GPA, high test scores, that type. You never know, but just focus on doing well this school year. You may want to drop an AP or IB class that you didn't do well in last year, or you could apply early decision where there is usually less competition and see what happens.

Also, really ask yourself. Do you really want to go to U of M? I was bent on going to Columbia or Stanford, but after a while, I saw that I would rather go to Michigan State or a less prestigous university before transfering to one of the two to go to law or medical school. Take this summer to travel and look up schools, ask what you really want to do. I'm not trying to steer you away from U of M, but I don't want you to set yourself up for disappointment.

The ranges they set, sif you seen on their website or even when taking the ACT, show that people with, lets say a 31 on their act have a 71% chance of getting accepted more so than someone with a 25, which would be like a 23%, it's simillar with GPA.

However, your ACT score is very impressive. I had to take mine five times before I got a 33, so good for you. But your SAT is lower in comparison, so I would suggest retaking it, or taking a subject test and doing well in the area you want to study if you want to go to U of M. Such as biology or med, or english for journalism, etc. But you can get accepted without using an SAT score.

I would do more research and see if people with your GPA do get accepted, and what other things they did to do so. The above response is right, your GPA is more of a Michigan State standard, but the important part about applying is that you have to make up with what you don't have. You could also go to a university like Michigan State then transfer. But going into making up for what you don't have, since you're GPA isn't that high, you have to have some killer extracurriculars, like Class President, or first place state champion of the debate team. A published poet. Mathlete. Sports also help.

But since you are going to be a senior, and you're going to be applying soon, try to apply early, you know, the people who really want to go to a specific university. Make sure you really sell yourself in your essay.

You've also taken really difficult classes, which also works in your favor because it shows that you didn't get your GPA from taking easy classes. But it sucks though. We are encouraged by our teachers and councelors to take the most challenging courses, but our weighted GPA's mean almost nothing. It is only advantageous to take them if you are getting A's.

So in the end, as a fellow highschooler who is about to be a senior, you really have to evaluate your situation. GPA's are important, but to a fault, remember that. The scale changes for different states, and some people just have harder teachers to deal with ( don't get me started with my chem teacher...), so ACT and SAT are very important because they are the national standard. It shows that you do have potential.

I don't think it's impossible to get in, but your GPA and lack of extracurriculars put you at a strong disadvantage. Remember, valedictorians, and people who have practically cured cancer still get rejected. It's a bit of a gamble either way.

You're competing with thousands of kids who are just as good, if not better than you in school. You can't really control that now. Do your best, and don't forget to embelish your application. Remember, what makes you different and special then those other students, and what why should you go there over someone else?

Good luck!

Source(s): Going to be a highschool senior, and trying to assess my chances too. Don't you wish councelors stressed more about what mattered when we were freshmen? try this: http://www.admissions.umich.edu/about/