Did your family all sit around the TV on Sunday nights watching the Ed Sullivan show?

The show ran on CBS from 1948 until 1971.

Which performers do you remember most?

Favorite Answer

Watching the Ed Sullivan Show every Sunday night was one of many shows we watched as a family. I most remember the following guests/regulars.

Elvis

Totie Fields

Topo Gigio

George Carlin (As the Hippy, Dippy, Weatherman)

Stiller & Meara (a really funny comedy skit)

Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy

Carol Burnett

Herman's Hermits

• OMG yes we had an entire routine, my sister and I...supper then baths...then we'd settle down for an evening of Mr. Ed...Lassie...My Favorite Martian...and then The Ed Sullivan Show. We would get dixie cups as a treat or sometimes a slice of pizza ( pizza was a treat not a meal in our house until we hit our teenage years). Then off to bed until I got older...then I could watch Bonanza while my sister had to go to bed lol....

I recall George Carlin's Hippy Dippy Weatherman, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles and that guy with the spinning plates on the end of those poles....comedian Alan King was a regular....

• janet

I remember a comedian and I think his name was Jose Jimenez -- he was so funny. I also remember seeing Bill Cosby on Ed Sullivan and he was very funny too. I also remember seeing the Beatles. Mostly what I remember is that all of the performers on that show were fun to watch and were very talented.

Also, after Ed Sullivan, we would then watch Bonanza -- a fun night that I always looked forward to!

We did. I loved that show. The most memorable was the Beatles. I was crazy about the Beatles, still am. I also remember the Rolling Stones, Jim Morrison and the Doors. Both bands were supposed to change the words of a song but at the last minute, they didn't make the change and went with the song the way it was recorded.

• Yep, my dad loved the Ed Sullivan show and the performers I most remember were elvis and the Beatles.

And Saturday nite was for Gunsmoke and Sea Hunt.

And Monday nite was for I Love Lucy.

We would have popcorn and RC.

Thanks for the memory.

In my community, back in the late 50's when television first arrived in The Galilee, we only had one set and it was up in the Member's Club and we would all crowd in and watch the weekly episodes of The Prisoner and that held us spellbound. Endless discussions about the meaning of the programme which was a puzzle for most of us.

Oh and all of us watching the First landing on the Moon. I'll never forget that evening.

• Poppy

Yes we did. the Beatles were worth the pain and Jim Morrison of the Doors made my day. I never liked Mr. Sullivan but my parents did. I never liked Sonny and Cher either but I love watching Cher in movies. Poppy

Oh yes, I certainly do. I remember my Dad just loving Patti Page, and my Mom wasnt jealous, she loved her too, and her rendition of "Doggie in the window", then they would get up out of their chairs and dance to her singing the "Tennesee Waltz".. truly beautiful. She looked like a round faced, curvy country girl with very little make up and a simple hair do and was still beautiful Some months later, she was skinnier, had lost much weight, Had a short curly (probably permed) hair style, it looked like it was colored darker and a face full of make up and tons of jewelry and a shiny gown... she was still gorgeous and 13 year old me thought so, but Dad was disappointed, he still liked her but said she had "gone Hollywood" and now looked like all the others... lost her sweet country girl personality.. But still loved her amazing talented voice and songs.. Then came the Beatles and of course scandalous Elvis. (the pelvis)... Those were truly the "good old days".. Thanks for the question and the happy memories it brought back.. bless you..

Source(s): school of life

For sure on an old black and white tv.. i remember Elvis and the Beatles. those were the good old days. Ed had a dry sense of humor.. walked around like he had a brace on his neck..

Yes and The Beatles and Elvis.. But Topo Gigo was my favorite. Good Night Eddieee