Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 8 years ago

I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." Avril Lavigne (Seventeen Magazine, 2002) do you agree with this?

"I created Punk for this day and age. Do you see Britney walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation."

Avril Lavigne (Seventeen Magazine, 2002)

Best Answer

That is the maddest thing I've ever heard! Wtf?

That's really funny. It doesn't surprise me. Obviously this is an asinine statement. Looks like the requirements to be "punk" have dropped significantly. All you need is a wear a tie?

That's funny. This "punk" character that she portrayed at the start of her career was an idiotic angle. It's good that her handlers changed Avril Lavigne to whatever the hell she is supposed to be these days. When i was in highschool a friend of mine told me that there was a "hot punk rock girl" on the top 40 charts. Once i found out what the song this "Punk" was doing i was rather confused. Where does the "Punk" start? And how does a "punk" song play in a shopping mall?

I feel bad for punk fans that their favourite style of music is and has been for years so horribly exploited by big corporations. The punk ethos is dead but it just keeps on getting gangraped by the same corporations that they were supposed to be fighting against.

• rask

Sid's recommendations-set replaced into extra effective than punk, even. He replaced right into a entire outcast and ought to no longer play to maintain his existence. In that element, of being a non-musicians, she's have been provided that lined. She is a entire commercial parent; her songs are bubblegum and he or she isn't singing punk!! under no circumstances and not even close. If she is, she ought to objective to be extra like GG Allin and much less like her female Britney. On a favorable be conscious, possibly she would be ready to pass out swifter than Sid did.

1. Lol

2. **** no

3. The readers of seventeen probably don't even know who Sid vicious was

4. Sid vicious is certainly not the most influential punk rocker out there, he didn't create punk rock.

• Dave

That was a long time ago, she was young and naive. I'm sure if you ask her the same question now, she would certainly have a different answer.

And, being a fan of punk music, obviously I do not agree with that egotistical statement at all. I don't think anyone does :p

I would she said that statement partly because of pressure from the media and her label.

Besides, Sid Vicious' part in establishing Punk was only superficial. No one who truly understands the origins of Punk should cite him as as one of the more significant pioneers. :/

I agree she might of been pressured by her record label and the media to do that(she just started out so she didnt have as much control over such things as now)but she is not punk she says it over and over that she isnt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detail...

EDIT:who knows the record company could have forced her to say that they have forced her to do things that she didnt want to do before

No, she is about as opposite of the ideals of punk as you can be.

At least SId died before he made stupid, arrogant, self-inflated bullshit statements like you just did.

Completely without musical credibility or talent?, yeah she may have a point.

yeah, and i'm a better guitar player than jimi hendrix.