I am oldest of 4 girls, our Mom is in nursing home?

mom has dementia, my sister is POA, and how can I get my mom out of home, to take care of her myself.

my sister is not even supposed to be poa, because my mom appointed me and she had it changed by Dr. so she could put her in nursing home/ My Mom never trusted my sister to have her as poa.

Favorite Answer

Hello there,

Bad situation. I feel for you. You face many different types of problems here. Some legal. Some medical.

If the Power of Attorney was executed after your mother was diagnosed with dementia, she no longer had the capacity to execute any such document. You can bring an action in the court in which she resides to challenge the POA and to attempt to get a guardianship of her. Also, if your mother had executed a different POA prior to being diagnosed as having dementia, then that POA may become usable. The holder of the power under that earlier POA would have to join with you in the court action. In short, you need to discuss your legal options with a local attorney. You will need the help of an attorney if you want to challenge the POA. You cannot do that on your own.

Dementia is a degenerative disease. In the early stages, the impairment is slight. As the condition progresses, the afflicted becomes completely dependent on others to handle all the basic life functions. That requires round the clock assistance. Before you attempt to care for your mother at home, you do need to learn what all is involved so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Later

Source(s): Caring for a parent in end stage of Lewy Body dementia
  • Antst

I know that it must be awful to see your mother in a home. But I strongly urge you to think about this carefully. I think the best place for your mother is in a home where she can get professional, round-the-clock care and have company.

My mother was a nurse who specialized in geriatric care and I saw her deal with dementia patients. Trust me, that is not something any one person should take on. It wouldn't be fair to you OR to your mother. Maybe right now it seems possible for you to take care of her, but as time goes on, it will get harder and harder. Unless you have a lot of money to pay for help, you can't do it alone.

The only way you will be able to get your sister removed as POA is if you have proof that your mother appointed you. But again, I think you should leave your mother where she is. She is in the best possible place and you can help her most by visiting her. Good luck.

You first need to fully understand if you can manage at home, ther are many support groups and help centres that can help or simply give you info for aid in legal options and financial. Good luck!

Source(s): Found some extra resources at http://alzheimersdisease.familyhealthtipsonline.co...

you talk to the nursing home.