Why is "spanish" looked at as non white?

yes i know alot of spaniards have arab blood but thats besides the point..people in america are retarded they think spanish people are from mexico or puerto rico...although many mexicans etc..are of full spanish descent (from spain)....a girl the other day said to my spanish friend..."ur white stop trying to speak spanish".and he said are you kidding me spanish is a white language...the reason all the indians and blacks and mixed people speak spanish today is because of SPAIN!!!!!!!......americans are so stupid...also people in america consider anyone with olive skin "spanish looking"...because they are referring to the large majority of mixed latinos there are...im italian and im dark skinned and people say you look spanish..and it gets me so mad because i know they aren't referring to spain..there talking about mexican or puerto rican......and yes i know the percentage of spaniards in america is very little thats why everyone thinks mexicans ane puerto ricans are the original spanish speakers..but why are americans so stupid???people just dont care about the world and history..

• guido
    Favorite Answer

And why is a language supposed to be white (or spoken by white people) in order to be better than the others?

Anyway I don't think the language you speak has something to do with the color of your skin I've known black people that speak French and German.

I am Mexican, and a mestizo, even though I have some Italian and Spanish blood most of my features are Amerindian and I'm proud of it and proud of my language, Spanish.

I'm Spanish and I'm full-blooded white. Many times I've been called Hspanic just cause I'm a Spaniard.

Yes, Spanish is a white language, as last time I checked, Castillian (or Spanish) was the language of Castile, now Spain, which is in Europe. Yes, the reason people of all these races speak Spanish is ecause of the Spanish empire and the colonisation movement.

I think, the reason that most people think Spanish is not a white language is because of the large population of Spanish speaking non-whites (and ignorance), like you said. Since latinos of mixed race greatly outnumber Spaniards, people go with the majority. Just like stereotypes. As for Spaniards having Arab blood, yes, that is true in most cases, since the Moors (Arabs) conquered and ruled most of the Iberian peninsula, for like, a millenia. But wait, I said Iberian peninsla-not just Spain. Meaning: Portuguese people may also have Arab blood. Yet, no one says Portuguese isn't a white language, because there are not as many non-white Portuguese speakers than white.

However, what's funny as that they don't think the same of English. English is spoken by many non-whites and still considered a "white language", quite unfair if you ask me.

I'm Spanish and I'm pretty pale-skin colour has nothing to do with race.

It's not that people don't care about world history, it's just that most (but not all, let's not make fun of our educated friends) are ignorant of it.

Source(s): I'm a Spaniard, baby~ xD

I can't see the big problem anywhere. Theorically 90% of Spanish-speakers indeed have some non-white blood, only 10% of them live in Spain, and there are many "dark" immigrants there too. It's like saying English is a white language. That has no sense.

That many Americans are ignorant it's well known, that's no news!

I think people confuse the words "Spanish" and "Hispanic". And people think that because someone speaks Spanish, they must be Spanish (which really doesn't make any sense. Speaking English doesn't make you English. You can speak English and be American or Canadian or others...) But for some reason people don't apply the same logic to Spanish. Also, Americans are exposed to much more South American Hispanics than they are to Spaniards. And you're right... To be blunt, many Americans are rather ignorant about these types of things...

Because people, not just Americans are stupid. Plus most people in the united states hear Spanish spoken by Latin Americans where the majority are multi racial whether they look it or not. I know that people from Spain are white. But isn't being Spanish a nationality and not necessarily an ethnicity. My aunt is nigerian her husband is Spanish and they live in spain. Are her kids not Spanish? They are! Duh!

• hi

Mixed are mixed. I don't consider mixed people with spanish who live in Spain as ethnic spanish ppl. I have spanish(100%) neighbours and they are white as me.

watch the movie "True Romance" it will tell you why Italians from the South are not white -- Dennis Hopper tells Christopher Walken....

Please stop insulting America just because you have a question here!!!! you can ask anything but you don't have to insult anyone!!!!