Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
Can You Give Me Trivias About Cyprus?
That's Our Assignment
- Anonymous10 years agoFavorite Answer
1. The word "copper" comes from the word "Cyprus". There were rich copper mines on the island.
2. The island of Cyprus is divided into two countries, the Republic of Cyprus in the south and the Turkish republic of Cyprus in the north. The Republic of Cyprus claims sovereignty over the entire island and the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus is only recognised by Turkey itself.
3. The origin of the name "Cyprus" is unknown, but it may derive from the Mediterranean cypress tree, the henna plant or the metal copper.
4. Remains of an 8-month-old cat were discovered buried with its human owner at a separate Neolithic site in Cyprus. The grave is estimated to be 9,500 years old, predating ancient Egyptian civilization.
5. In 1191, during the Third Crusade, Richard I of England captured the island from Isaac Komnenos of Cyprus. He used it as a major supply base that was relatively safe from the Saracens.
6. Cyprus has been part of the Eurozone, the area of the European Union where euros are the sole currency, since 2008.
7. Cyprus is one of only four EU nations in which vehicles drive on the left-hand side of the road, a remnant of British colonisation, the others being Ireland, Malta and the United Kingdom.
8. The country has two official languages: Greek and Turkish. Armenian, Cypriot Maronite Arabic and Romani are also recognized as minority languages. In addition to these languages – according the Eurobarometer by European Commission – 76% of the population of Cyprus speak English, 12% speak French, and 5% speak German.
9. Halloumi cheese originated in Cyprus and was initially made during the Medieval Byzantine period, subsequently gaining popularity throughout the Middle-East.
10. Nicosia, the capital and largest city of the Republic of Cyprus, is twinned with Lisbon in Portugal, Schwerin in Germany, Athens in Greece, Odessa in Ukraine, Shanghai in China, Barcelona in Spain, Beirut in Lebanon, Milan in Italy and a number of other prominent world cities.
Wikipedia helped when compiling this Cyprus trivia. You might find other facts and figures of interest by Googling or by exploring Wikipedia too.
- earlesLv 44 years ago
Beard hair grows at 2 circumstances its elementary fee if you're in a airplane. round 15 men each 3 hundred and sixty 5 days have their penises chopped off by skill of their extra useful halves and the optimal share of fellows who bear this are Italians. you take advantage of better ability ingesting celery than there are in celery itself. better than 2,500 left surpassed people are killed each and each 3 hundred and sixty 5 days from utilizing ideal surpassed merchandise. Semen is likely between the such plenty fattening resources known to guy. An organic of 76 people a three hundred and sixty 5 days die playing tornado, and about 23 of that are by skill of playing the nude version! Linda McCartney has offered better vegetarian in a position made ingredients than Paul has offered archives. interior the course of the 18 3 hundred and sixty 5 days run of Cats on Broadway, 3,247 lbs of yak hair replaced into once used for wigs. The shortest conflict in historic previous replaced into once between England and Zanzibar in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes. sixty 5 people develop into $millionaires each and on a daily basis. The organic human will devour one pound of insects of their lifetime. you're a lot extra likely to be killed by skill of a rogue champagne cork than a poisonous spider.