Why does the Media use Alek Wek as a Standard for African Beauty?

I'm from Africa, specifically Nigeria, and there's people of various skin tones, and that goes for all of Africa. Are Europeans, mainly Americans really that ignorant to think that all Africans are dark, also I honestly don't think Alek wek is all that pretty either, just super skinny, which isn't... show more I'm from Africa, specifically Nigeria, and there's people of various skin tones, and that goes for all of Africa. Are Europeans, mainly Americans really that ignorant to think that all Africans are dark, also I honestly don't think Alek wek is all that pretty either, just super skinny, which isn't very healthy, but of course that goes for all models like that... and they usually make her pics really unrealistic looking, it's pretty weird.. i don't know am I supposed to look super dark and photoshoped like that and super skinny o.O... my family ranges from dark brown ( dad's side) caramel ( me and my siblings) to somewhat Ivory ( mom's side, and no she's NOT mixed) but anyways I'd like to know your views, plz and thank you :)