Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

Spark in kitchen GFI electric outlet?

A few times I noticed a spark inside my kitchen outlet when I went to go plug/unplug something. It is a GFI outlet, so if I had any problems I would just hit reset and go on my way. Then today anytime I tried to use the outlet it was a few minute process of me hitting the reset button before it would work. Now I can't get that outlet or the one 5 feet away (regular outlet) to work. I don't keep things plugged into outlet unless I am using it (toaster, blender, or panini maker are the only things I have used in that outlet, only one at at time). The regular outlet has a phone and Krug coffer machine. I have tried switching the switch in the fuse box, but now I can't get either outlet to work. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

First, the 'regular' outlet is feed from, and protected by, the GFI outlet. That is why it dies when the GFI trips. A SMALL spark is normal whenever you plug something into, or unplug something from ANY outlet. It is normally so small that you would not see it unless the room is dark, and you are looking directly into the outlet.

If you have to continually reset the GFI, you either have a fault in the circuit it protects, or the GFI itself is failing. In your case, the GFI outlet has completely failed and needs replaced. If the new outlet trips, you still have the original issue that killed the GFI.

• wendie

GFI receptacles are you utilized in moist areas or the place there's a risk of touch with water which includes kitchens, bogs, basements, and garages. they're extra mushy than a known receptacle as they arrive upon moisture on a circuit for the time of the unbiased and floor cord fairly than waiting for the circuit breaker to blow because of the fact of an over-contemporary. The GFI could be put in in sequence as long as that's the 1st receptacle on the line, this might defend all the different shops following, yet all of them must be under pressure out in sequence. in case you have extra desirable than a million circuit providing the room you'll want a minimum of a million GFI for each circuit. in case your ran the wires in one among those trend as which you would be able to not cord them in sequence you will ought to place a GFI at each and every area. There additionally are GFCI circuit breakers available which may be installled interior the electrical powered panel, then you somewhat do not ought to hassle approximately something being in sequence or parrallel. not understanding the place you reside, I only ought to make you conscious that maximum electric powered codes and rules require acceptable installation and if not acceptable put in your coverage organization would possibly not ought to pay for any damages as a consequence of hearth.

your gfi is shot and needs replacing and the second plug your talking about is coming off the gfi and is protected by it that plug is ok and will work after you change the bad gfi . gl

GFI receptacles are you used in moist areas or the place there's available of touch with water consisting of kitchens, bogs, basements, and garages. they are greater tender than a commonly used receptacle as they arrive upon moisture on a circuit with the aid of the impartial and floor twine particularly than waiting for the circuit breaker to blow using fact of an over-present day. The GFI would properly be put in in series as long because it rather is the 1st receptacle on the line, this might take care of all the different shops following, yet all of them would desire to be under pressure out in series. in case you have greater suitable than a million circuit providing the room you will desire a minimum of a million GFI for each circuit. if your ran the wires in the type of style as which you won't be able to twine them in series you will would desire to place a GFI at each and each area. There are additionally GFCI circuit breakers attainable which would be installled interior the electrical powered panel, then you definitely do no longer would desire to be afflicted approximately something being in series or parrallel. no longer understanding the place you reside, I basically have the desire to make you conscious that maximum electric powered codes and regulations require suitable setting up and if no longer precise put in your coverage corporation won't would desire to pay for any damages as a effect of hearth.

umm if you are messing with the fuse panel call an electrician before you kill yourself.

Source(s): handyman who still calls his electrician friend for fuse work.