is it wrong to feel shameful about liking pop music (im a rock/metal fan)?

ive been a rock and metal fan for about 6-7 years and i listen to pop/alternative music like gorillaz and the 80s music like UB40, the police, soft cell, culture club and adam ant but when it comes to modern pop (like katy perry or lady gaga) i feel kinda ashamed when i think "hey i like this tune" lol is it really as shameful and bad for me to like modern pop or is it just because im too caught up in the sort of "tough guy rocker/metalhead" thing that i see it as embarassing when its not?

forgot to add this...dont take this the wrong way girls but rock/metal is very male-orientated (most bands are with guys) so maybe thats why i feel its shameful cause im used to a guy singing instead of a female singing but still im clueless about if im just being too closed-minded

fair point some of you have made about that i could like a poser to people but i have played guitar for 5-6 years and music is my life (literally) but the whole thing about the "tough rock/metalhead" is not the way that i see myself...but its a kinda peer pressure thing when i've been to rock/metal festivals theres alot of people who mosh, smoke weed, crowd surf get pi**ed and strip naked...crazy things basically and it feels theres a pressure to be that way even though i resist it well)

Favorite Answer

Not at all.It's fakers who have to feel ashamed,I believe in staying true to myself.I'm an 18 year old girl and I LOVE metal and NO i'm not a poser,I truly love it,most of its subgenres -Thrash,Death and Black being the most favourites,and you'll often find me jammin to Lady Gaga or Cascada in my car while on a summer ride.So?That's me,that's what satisfies me.Have you seen people who say they're metalheads and when you try having a conversation with them,all they know in the name of metal is the names of popular bands like Metallica or Iron Maiden?Shame on them,to tell you the truth.Not on us.I'd like a bobblehead Bieber fan more than a poser metal listener.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/9243999/GagaNicko_la...

Metal and pop are like siblings, and all the, "One roolz, the other suckz!" is just sibling rivalry.

Is it wrong to feel shameful? I consider that the wrong question. You're questioning the validity of your own emotion. That's other people's job, and it's pointless enough when they do it. There is no true continuum of emotional validity; it's a fallacy of how we judge each other. You experience emotion, it is therefore legitimate.

You DO feel shameful. Should you? Of course not. Taste happens, you don't choose it. And there's nothing wrong with liking any music, no matter how bad it is in whose estimation.

But I put it on music fan culture, and how boring and unromantic it is, that you have to feel this way, not on you. Do what you're doing now, and face the feelings, as opposed to ignoring them, and you have the best chance of working through them, and eventually being able to enjoy the music you enjoy guilt free. Good luck.

Myself, I'm a big music freak, and my two favourite genres overall are probably metal and pop. I never enjoyed Slayer MORE than when I decided acting like an overly hormonal teenager isn't a requisite to enjoying it. And I enjoy Lady Gaga quite a lot without feeling the need to put my "paws up."

It's a tired analogy, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge just because people who like the same music as me do it.

Ignoring your added details...

Look, I have the same thing sometimes. You feel ashamed because rock and metal are very rebellious things and they're against the whole idea of popular music, because pop is very rigged, autotuned, and fake. Meaning the voices are autotuned, most of the singers are just their company's puppets, and the production companies choose who gets famous - not the people. However, you should listen to it anyway. If you try to avoid pop that you like because you're trying to keep up with the "tough guy rocker/metalhead" image, you're the very thing that we're infamous for hating most: a poser.

Bottom line is don't be ashamed of your music. If you like it, listen to it, who cares what other people think?

I'm into rock and metal mostly too but people laugh at my varied music taste because I also like the odd pop-ish song (not new pop, I hate all of that) but I love "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship etc, and I also like several Run DMC songs, then in rock and metal I listen to everything from Bon Jovi and Poison to Nirvana and Pearl Jam to Ramones and Sex Pistols to Slipknot and Dimmu Borgir and all I have to say on this question from my experience is LISTEN TO WHATEVER YOU LIKE AND DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF IT OR SAY. If people only like one style it just means they're small minded little fucks and don't like change. If you like several styles it means you're open minded and well, to put it bluntly, a lot better than all of them will ever be.

And as for the rock and metal being more male orientated I don't think that's true tbh. I'm a girl and I'm 15. I think most men think girls who listen to rock and metal are tough or something, so girls don't really talk about it or publicize what they like as much because they don't want to be judged. At least that's the way I am about my tastes. There is a lot of women in rock and metal music, they're just harder to find than men. Janis Joplin? Joan Jett? Lita Ford? (And all the other members of the Runaways), Simone Simons? Tarja Turunen? Anette Olzon? Doro Pesch? And millions of others I can't be bothered to list right now.

I see where you're coming from as a male or whatever, but no, don't feel shame in it.

Yeah being a tough rocker/metalhead isn't something that every guy has to be, it's something they all think they should be. If you like some pop, who cares, some of it IS catchy, I don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

So no, you're not any less of a man.

Rock/metal is hot though.

Source(s): I put that last sentence in just to mindf*ck you.
  • DPJ

Pop music in itself no you absolutely shouldn't feel "ashamed" of listening to it. That is such a wide genre and many times things that are technically classified as pop really shouldn't be. It completely depends on what kind of pop it is. If you're talking about Katy Perry and Ke$ha and that B.S., then you should seriously be ashamed. If it's good pop like anything besides these effing mainstream radio gangster artists featuring some black rapper, then you're fine.

First off, I want to tell you that you have good taste in music :)

Gorillaz and the Police are great haha, I recently just got into them.

I think you shouldn't be ashamed, broadening your music tastes is a good thing, modern pop is catchy, I admit. But it's not my thing either.

I was a rap fan for the longest time since I kind of grew up with cousins and neighbors listening to rap. I still like it, but now I broaden my tastes to things like classical music and bands like Gorillaz :) Don't be ashamed haha

I am a twenty four year old male fan of both metal and hip-hop, but i like taylor swift and lady gaga and other music. I don't think its anything to feel ashamed about. Its about the music and the way it makes you feel, not what other people think about it.

Don't be ahamed about listening to alt. rock, all subgenres (or the majority) of rock at awesome. What the hell is there to be ashamed of? As far as pop goes, I like Ellie Goulding and florence machine. But katy perry or gaga I wouldn't touch. But that's just me, listen to what you like. Don't deprive yourself.

I think people who have a real understanding of music appreciate music outside of their chosen genre. If you look at great songs through history- they often borrow from or reference other types of music.

So there's no reason to feel ashamed of liking pop music. Don't let narrow-minded people get you down.