if I merely support gay marriage... will the Catholic church bar me from mass?

"Religious leaders slammed the state’s new gay marriage law on Saturday, vowing to ban politicians who supported the measure from any Catholic church and parochial school events. Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, of the diocese of Brooklyn, called on all Catholic schools to reject any honor bestowed upon them by Gov. Cuomo, who played a pivotal role in getting the bill passed. He further asked all pastors and principals to "not invite any state legislator to speak or be present at any parish or school celebration."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/26/201...

I'm not a politician, but if i openly support equality for gays, am i unwelcome in church?

if i wear a rainbow lapel pin, will they stop me at the door?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, you wear that rainbow pin and be proud.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Matt
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Gays already have all the rights of everyone else.

What you are probably talking about is changing the definition of marriage to mean practically whatever anyone wants.

Gay people in all fifty states can already go to a church of their choosing and get married in some sort of ceremony. Many of the more radical want the government to call marriage something other than a man and a woman joining together. This is asinine and ridiculous.

Gays can marry, live together and file the necessary paperwork to give the same rights to one another to see over one another's affairs just like a true married couple.

This whole thing is not about giving them 'rights'. They already have rights. This is about forcing their lifestyle down the throats of everyone else.

Gays make up less than three percent of the population in the US according to Obamas census. Why should be change the definition of something that has standed the test of time for less than three percent of the population?

Is that the threshold? If more than two percent of the population wants something changed-do we cave and say sure? Psychologists say about 4 percent of the population are sociopaths. It doesn't mean they are serial killers or bad, but that they do not feel things the same way as regular, healthy people. Should we also adjust everything in society to benefit sociopaths?

Give me a break.

If you do not believe what the Catholic Church teaches, please leave it. There are something like 38000 other christian churches in the USA. Different kinds that is. One of them would love to have you.

The billion and a half Catholics on earth today have no need for your nonsense.

Source(s): Proud Roman Catholic
  • 9 years ago

I don't think so, but there was an incident in Australia a few years back where a Bishop Pell (now a cardinal) refused communion to Catholics wearing a rainbow sash, indicating they were proud and practicing gays.

I don't think they'll stop you at the door, but some priests might take the pin to mean you yourself are gay, and depending how liberal/conservative they are, they could refuse you communion. If you then explain that you are not yourself gay, then they would probably allow you to take communion.

But I'd say just wearing a pin won't stop you getting past the door of the church.

• 9 years ago

You can always go to Mass (and should), no matter what. The question is whether or not you can receive the Holy Eucharist.

If you merely support same sex "marriage" but do nothing active to promote it - never say a word about it, never vote in favor of it, never work for it politically, you can still receive the Holy Eucharist if your conscience will allow.

If you do anything active in support of same-sex "marriage," then you must abstain from the Holy Eucharist. It would also behoove you to study more about what the Catholic teaching is and the "why" behind it.

Wear a rainbow pin if you like - you'll still be welcome to Mass. It's up to you to put your big boy pants on and determine whether or not you should receive the Eucharist based on your response to and following of Church teaching.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Daver
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

<<If I merely support gay marriage... will the Catholic church bar me from mass?>>

If the Church becomes aware of your stance of same-sex marriage, the Church CAN bar you from receiving the Holy Eucharist.

<<"Religious leaders slammed <snip> parochial school events.>>

One cannot be Catholic and support same-sex marriage.

<<Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio <snip> the bill passed.>>

Brooklyn, and the Catholic Church in Brooklyn, is lucky to have Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio.

<<He further asked <snip> or school celebration.">>

Like I said - GOOD!

<<I'm not a politician, but if i openly support equality for gays, am i unwelcome in church?>>

You're still welcome to attend Mass BUT you CANNOT receive the Holy Eucharist.

<<if i wear a rainbow lapel pin, will they stop me at the door?>>

That's possible.

Most likely they'll let you in, so long as you don't dissrupt the Mass itself. However, you should expect to be denied the Holy Eucharist if you try to receive it.

• 9 years ago

What is a rainbow pin?

Everyone is in support for the equal rights of everyone but the so-called marriage of people of the same sex is not marriage by any stretch of the definition. It is not an equal right but a special right given to those who live a sinful and condemned lifestyle. Homosexuals have always had the same rights as everyone else to marry someone of the opposite sex and the Church supports marriage. Everyone is welcome at the Church but the Church will never support sin and will continue to defend attacks on its institutions and Sacraments as this law has clearly done. It is a redefining and desecration of what God has established. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• 9 years ago

King James Version Bible

1 Peter Chapter 2

11. Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

James Chapter 1

8. A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

1 Timothy Chapter 5

24. Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some [men] they follow after.

25. Likewise also the good works [of some] are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

2 Thessalonians Chapter 3

14. And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

15. Yet count [him] not as an enemy, but admonish [him] as a brother.

Proverbs Chapter 6

16. These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:

17. A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19. A false witness [that] speaketh lies, AND HE THAT SOWETH DISCORD AMONG THE BRETHREN.

Leviticus Chapter 18

22. Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination.

Deuteronomy Chapter 22

5. The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Romans Chapter 1

26. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27. And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Galatians Chapter 5

19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, HERESIES,

21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Isaiah Chapter 5

20. Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Micah Chapter 2

1. Woe to them that devise iniquity, and work evil upon their beds! when the morning is light, they practise it, because it is in the power of their hand.

Proverbs Chapter 1

10. My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

2 Thessalonians Chapter 3

6. Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

2 Corinthians Chapter 6

14. Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Philippians Chapter 2

14. Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Amos Chapter 3

3. Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

1 Peter Chapter 1

16. Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

• Tico
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Civil unions are legal between people of same gender. This is not a sacrament and is not marriage.

• 9 years ago

last year, when a non-discrimination law was passed, Catholic charities stopped their adoption programs, as punishment

this, of course, affected children more than anyone else

...this is what the church does

• joie
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Be proud! Religion should have NOTHING to do with Equal Rights! If anyone says anything to you then you let them know that they are full of everything bad BUT love!

Source(s): Ex-minister....atheist.....huge supporter of Gay Rights!
  • Hogie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If you condone sin and a sinful lifestyle, are you not then a party to that sin?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.