Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelItalyBologna · 8 years ago

Homosexuality Mental Illness?

I'm going to talk about homosexuality as an illness, so don't begin arguing whether homosexuality is fine or not, I don't want a vain debate.

I recently thought of homosexuality as a mental illness. Here is why I think that. Cases that I have seen of homosexuality have begun later in life probably due to traumatic events. I don't know for sure if people are born homosexual. If they are it is a defect in the human body. The human body is meant to be heterosexual to reproduce not the other way around.

If someone turns out homosexual it can be changed because something wrong happened. Many principles of depression can apply here. Some people can be born with bipolar illness or people acquire depression later on just like the principles of homosexuality. People say it's not a choice well neither is depression but it can be cured(or medicated). A big difference between the two is that homosexuality is embraced whereas depression is not really wanted at most times. Few people who are depressed can begin to embrace depression as masochists, but still curable.

I think homosexuality shouldn't be embraced just like depression and rather find a cure for this illness. I also want to know what can cause a person to go the other way around.

I'm not calling anyone depressed homosexual, I was just stating principles that are alike but not entirely the same.

Best Answer

i do think its a mental illness because it isnt natural for a man and a man or a woman and a woman to be together.

• Kieth

I doubt that it is all that simple. At the same time it may be so simple it defies logic as we humans like to complicate things.

I have heard it said that depression is anger turned in on the Self. In other words shame and guilt which lead naturally to self depreciating thoughts which beget more of the same which leads to a downward spiral with increased intensity and frequency. This path to highly influencial negativity acts kind of like a noose energetically and can be seen in the reflection of ever increasing negative feelings turning in on itself with a similar effect on individual perception of the external reality as increasingly negative. A feed back loop on all levels.

The nature of our thoughts lead to more thoughts of the same nature. Whether this is the cause and or conditon of homosexuality or any type of sexual preference is anyone's guess. I don't know as it is not my direct experience and I don't concern myself really with the question for the same reason. Truth is in the experience and who is anyone to judge anothers experience? If it is not your experience you will never know the truth of that experience so why preoccupy yourself with the question? I really can't see why anyone would speculate on the experience of another as if those thoughts were fact. I know it is the way our minds work until we are aware that they work that way at which point it all becomes kind of moot. Suddenly we realize the absurdity of such a quest.

Ultimately at some level these things aren't problems to be fixed or illnesses to be cured but experiences of life that are chosen on some deep level perhaps even the level of the soul. All experience offers lessons. Perhaps the lesson here is that if you are not depressed or a homosexual or both the depate would not appeal to you and you would be attracted to other types of thought. At some level you may be choosing to think about this even if it is out of curiousity. Why is that? That is the question isn't it? This kind of rationalizing maybe a form of projection which is really denial is disguise. If you feel a strong reaction to such words or the implication of such things that will tell you. Maybe it is a opportunity to take an honest personal inventory and maybe not. I am not intending to label or judge and it isn't my interest to go on endlessly about the question itself. What do the questions say? That is where the truth may be found and not in a bunch of hypothetical answers masquarading as fact. Are you choosing your destiny or is it choosing you?

Can I just say something, man? I don't want to debate either, but by nature, we're all bisexual...but by upbringing, we're not aware of it because of societies pressure, we don't even go there in our minds. homosexuality is only a "sickness" according to society. In nature, being gay is natural. We're all brothers and sisters, we're all one love. Sex with the opp sex is an experience like no other cause it's hotter knowing that in a society perspective, it's rebelious sex. Anyway, being bisexual/homosexual/straight = natural. I'm bisexual, you're bisexual, your father is bisexual, George Washington was bisexual and Oprah is bisexual...it's nature. Just like good and evil..we're all both because nature is both man, it's not a disorder.

Source(s): ONE LOVE!

Some people just have uncontrolable desires. I sort of believe you, but why state it on something like yahoo answers? why does this topic interest you so much? Are you a homo-sexual who can't except it and thinks of this as an excuse?

It's not an illness it's a sexuality, so you're saying if being gay is an illness then so is being straight, its just a diversity, grow up.

edit: why are people so bothered anyway it has nothing to do with how you live your life does it, if anyone has a mental illness it's prejudice people that hate blacks and gays..

I agree with Cybi.

• C

You seem awfully concerned what consenting men and women are doing in their own bedrooms. I say that is more telling about you than anything. Wonder why you are very concerned about their sex life?

Why straight men get on here arguing about homosexuality and how much it bothers you is baffling.

That is why the issue of homosexuality is too complex and will never fully be solved.

Honestly it can be both... i had a friend who had a traumatic event with his gf (he found er cheating on him with his brother) so he turned Gay... then theres people like me who just naturally like men its all about trust my dear friend all about trust

some people say that it is an illness; however my friend is gay and she never had any traumatic experiences

You're a ******* psychopath.