Ear wax buildup or infection?

for the past couple of days I feel like my left ear just feels clogged, or something in there just needs to come out! My hearing hasn't really been changed or anything, but I do feel uncomfortable. I also feel like I have a minor headache from it, but I'm not too sure it's because of my ear. I'm not... show more for the past couple of days I feel like my left ear just feels clogged, or something in there just needs to come out! My hearing hasn't really been changed or anything, but I do feel uncomfortable. I also feel like I have a minor headache from it, but I'm not too sure it's because of my ear. I'm not sure if it's just ear wax buildup or infection. I did go to CVS to buy a ear wax buildup removal kit & they told me it's probably not an infection. I'm not experiencing any draining or pain. It does not really hurt, but it does definitely feel uncomfortable.

If it is ear wax, it says to put a few drops in my ear for a few minutes. Then do I clean it out with the syringe? Or just let it come out then wash it with a cotton swab or q-tip? I also heard some people get infections after doing this, should I just go to the doctor or is it okay that I just do it at home?
I do remember doing this as a child, but it's been so long, so I don't remember the process or what happened.

If it is an infection how am I 100% sure that it is an infection and not ear wax buildup? Because I don't think I would want to make it worse by putting the drops in if it is an infection.
thanks!