Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 years ago

If my last name is fernandez are my ancestors from Spain?

My family is all from Mexico, my skin color is pretty white so is most of my family, except for ky sister she is light brown , but my parents are white skinned can you explain this, and also my moms last name is Fries where dies that come from?

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

To find out your ancestry, you need to research it...just because of a name, looks or colouring you can tell your ancestry by any of those, so you are mixing up surname origins and ancestry...surnames have ORIGINS but that doesn't mean that is wheree your ancestors are from just the name.................

Fries

Recorded in a wide range of spellings including De Fries, Fries, Friese, Defries, De Vriese, Defriez, and several others, this is often English, but ultimately medieval French. It is has several possible origins. It may be ethnic or nationalistic and describe either a former inhabitant of Friesland in the Netherlands, or as Frise, Fries or Friese, it may be a nickname and describe a German. It can also be topographical from an ancient pre 10th century French word "friche" meaning fallow land, and hence describe somebody who lived by or owned such a place. The substitution and transposition of the letters "v" and "f" is commonplace throughout Northern Europe, and represents the differing dialects used over the centuries. It is unclear as to when the name was first introduced into the British Isles, indeed there may well have been several entries over the centuries commencing with the Normans at the 1066 Invasion. However he greatest influx would seem to have been with the Huguenot Protestants refugees after the repeal of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. Some fifty thousand, mainly skilled French artisans crossed the Channel at this time, and provided the backbone for the developing Industrial Revolution which Britain was to lead for two hundred years. Examples of the recordings taken from surviving church registers of the diocese of Greater London include: Jeanne Devreese at St Dionis Backchurch, on April 18th 1625, Maria de Vriese, who married Carolus de Heems at Lincolns Inn, Holborn, on December 10th 1777, Joseph de Friez, a witness at St George's in the East, Stepney, on August 11th 1793, and Jonas de Fries, a witness at the New Synagogue, city of London, on December 19th 1805.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Fries#ixzz1QslIpO...

To know where your ancestors came from you need to research your ancestors one generation at a time. Last names don't always line up with origins. The question "Is everyone with the same surname related" or something similar comes up a few times a week around here. Reviewing some of those closed questions will give you some very good ideas of how it could be possible to have a Spanish last name with no Spanish ancestors whatsoever, even in a Spanish dominated place like Mexico. Last names don't tell you anything whatsoever about complexion since complexion is biological and names are social.

• avarca

Fernandez Origin

• Jacob

Hmmm Que interesante. Pues, es muy pocible, pero necesitas mas.....

Well I'll just stop that right there. I can speak a little, not fluent, but anyways. Well, it's possible. It's very possible that your last name is Spanish. Actually, the surname Fernandez orginated in Spain. But how do you know if your ancestors came from Spain with that name? Are you sure they didn't change their name at one point?? Well you'll have to trace it back to get that answer.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): fernandez ancestors spain: https://shortly.im/9tNaQ

Most Likely, Spanish came over to Mexico, mixed with the natives (Mestizo person) or not and just settled there.

Source(s): Last Name Rivera :)

fries could be a dutch surname...fries means a frisian person from friesland

Source(s): dutch