10 month old's cold/nasal congestion not getting better after 3 weeks, Please advise.?

Hi - My daughter is 10.5 month old and she is breastfed with some solids added to the diet. My mother cares for her during the day at my home when I am at work.

She caught her first cold at 9 months but was fully recovered in a week. She caught her second cold again at 10 months. No fever or cough just the cold. It was a bad cold and she was also congested during her sleep, particularly at night. When it did not go away after 10 days, we took her to the Ped. He said her lungs, ears everything looked good. But he noticed a very mild sinus infection and mentioned that might be what is causing the congestion. He prescribed an antibiotics for it. (Zithromax and the course was for 3 days and dosage was a teaspoon once a day). I asked him what if I did not bring her in and he said - the problem would have resolved anyways. Just that the it may hang around for another 7 to 10 days.

Since our baby was otherwise doing wonderful (Thank God) - nursing well, happy, playful and active - we decided not to medicate her and wait for her body to naturally fight out the infection.

Now it's been a week since we went to the doctor and she hasn't yet fully recovered from the cold. It has gotten much better but she still has clear mucus discharge now and then when she sneezes and she has trouble breathing properly at night.

We use all natural remedies such as sitting with her in the bathroom with hot shower running twice a day, the OTC saline drops, The suction bulb, elevating her head during sleep etc. She is not running a temperature and does not seem to be in pain. She is eating and playing. Her only symptoms are 1. Clear and sometimes a little bit white mucus discharge 2. Nasal congestion.The congestion is worse during sleep.

Has anyone had their babies have a cold and nasal congestion for this long? Did it resolve on it's own naturally?

I am thinking of waiting another 2-3 days and use the antibiotics/call the ped again. I just did not want to give her antibiotics if its just a common cold that will resolve on it's own. I would really like her body to build the immunity naturally, particularly because she seems otherwise comfortable and fine. The antibiotics will not address the common cold virus anyways. It may only address the little bit of bacterial germ she has.

Your experiences and advice will be valued. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

my daughter is 19 months and since she was 9 months shes been prone to lots of colds and ear infection;; she recently had a cold and i had brought her to the doctors after a few weeks the doc said everything was fine and that it would just go on its own it did take about a week or two after that to go away but if you have any worries just bring her to the doctors again they will reassure you

hope this worked

Sinus Congestion For 3 Weeks

• Ethel

What is wrong with your doctor? If she had a viral infection (cold), an antibiotic does crap and should not be prescribed since it merely makes drug resistant bugs (think MRSA). Get a new doctor.

She has a new cold that came in on top of the old one, that is normal. Don't use the antibiotics I beg you, no good reason without a clear bacterial infection, which she does not have - at most she has allergies although it would be to an indoor allergen, not seasonal allergies since she is not old enough for seasonal allergies.

I would give her the antibiotics, if she is having trouble breathing this cannot be comfortable or safe for her even if they don't work fully they may make it better for her. I'm sure you are trying to be a good parent by doing this but her body will still build up and immune system for it. I think it would make her more comfortable and much better, after all thats what they are for :) However it is totally up to you, you should be the one to decide! Hope she gets well soon :)

Sounds more like an allergy. Not a "bad" allergy, but still an allergy. Sounds like all is well....playing, nursing, sleeping, happy etc. Saline drops and steam is good. Unless u have a real concern, or it gets worse, I think all is ok. Good luck mom!!

Source(s): Former ped nurse

if your daughter has a hard time breathing get an asthma check.

for your daughters cold buy puffs lotion with vicks. yes its sort of expensives and smells but its worth it! vicks will help drain and the lotion will keep her nose from tearing. Hope i helped.

Source(s): kroger, mom