Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

What's up with Lyoto Machida's background in Sumo?

I know that one doesn't necessarily need to have a gargantuan physique in order to apply sumo tactics, but I don't see how Machida could use sumo in MMA.

How can sumo be used though?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

quite easily....where do you think jujutsu comes from? you should learn of the sumai

either way sumo early on in the ufc had the problem thta the practitiorer

1-couldnt finish the fight

2-got knocked out by strikers since sumo dosent train against combination strikes to the face

the reason for this was (in these cases) these guys werent used to fighting in the ''mma style''

later sumo comes back and bjj's royce gracie submitts, problem is sumo dosent train to fight off the ground in sumo if ur back is on the ground the assumption is u will b trampled to death

these are the only things keeping it from NOT working, everything else works

sumo is easily on of the best styles in terms of ''octagon control'' all sumo takes place in fairly close proximity, thus a good sumo tactition can control space, not in a literal scence but in the scence of space occupation, sumos can move you around the ring to where you will be at a disadvantage for this reason, next is knocking you back. in fact the first ufc (one of the ifrst five at least) had a sumo basically push/smash a guy completely out of the ring(it should have counted as a victory arguably but due to the rules to win the match was simply restarted in the middle) so sumo will teach you to knock the opponent back,

next we must understand one of the main ways to win in sumo is knocking the other guy down while standing up or knocking both u and the opponent down while being in an advantitous position, where is that not good in mma? i mean thats fabulous in mma,especially in terms of the judges

also imagine lyoto working out with big sumo guys, imagine how much stronger you get workoing out in the sumo style, some of their exercises are very powerful and can be used to warm up very quickly with minimal strain

sumo is very useful, ufc is a type of port fighting so of course it is disadvantitious to street style techniques however i feel they have been unfair to the sumo community, there should be a way to win based on knocking people back or out of the octagon but i suppose the future will show us whats up

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's up with Lyoto Machida's background in Sumo?

I know that one doesn't necessarily need to have a gargantuan physique in order to apply sumo tactics, but I don't see how Machida could use sumo in MMA.

How can sumo be used though?

Source(s): 39 lyoto machida 39 background sumo: https://shortly.im/igmCb
  • 8 years ago

Machida's sumo training is apparent in his tie-ups, throws, and takedown defense. Sumo is based on leverage, like all forms of wrestling. However, sumo training generally translates poorly to MMA because most actual sumo are too massive to be effective, and because they've spent years in a system that essentially teaches you how to push other guys around for about five seconds. Sumo, like many wrestling systems, has no strikes or submissions, and it doesn't teach any ground skills whatsoever, which is why pure sumo translates badly to MMA. For Machida, however, it's more of a supplementary skill, and he's been able to use it well.

• Dione
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I would tend to agree that Machida will take the second bout. He's learned from his mistakes during the first encounter, specifically in the realm of leg kicks. I say Machida by unanimous decision. To Derek... Shotokan has a defense against leg kicks, per Machida Sr, its essentially to get inside the kicking radius and attack your opponent so he can't use leg kicks, since he's logicall too preoccupied. I'll try to find the link to the interview...it was the same one as the one where he said Lyoto had to fight Silva.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zak
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Sumo has nothing to do with size, It's merely a form of grip wrestling, like Sseirum (Korean wrestling) or Icelandic wrestling.

• 8 years ago

Sumo is a legitimate form of wrestling albeit a more unconventional one in general, I suppose it would give your a fantastic edge in being able to pin your opponent to the cage, or in enduring a take down attempt.

• Janet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av2nC

machida will win bye 2nd ko

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.