Question about Quranist vs. traditional sunni islam?

I'm facing an internal stuggle about the concept of Quranist and I was wondering if someone could help me.

The quranist argument: My interest in the quranist theory is not to somehow "find a loophole to the strict rules of islam" or to find a way to "westernize islam." My interest in the concept is to find the true and straight path. Growing up, I tended to ignore the hadith for two reasons, one because my language barrier made reading the hadith difficult and two, because I always felt inherently not attracted to the hadith. I always stuck to the Quran and whenever someone would argue or discuss something with me, I always found myself saying, show me the proof from the quran, but don't cite the hadith. After a conversation the other day with someone about hadith, I decided that I would stick to the quran for religious guidance alone and I was surprised recently to discover there was a movement of people who felt the same thing-- the "quranist movement". My decision was based on the fact that I felt that hadith and tafsir could be corrupted and that God guaranteed the quran and the quran alone, not to mention that there is the paradox of the prophet (SWT) saying not to record hadith. If it would have been important to record the hadith, then wouldn't the best of all people (the prophet and the companions) be the ones to record the hadith and not leave it up to people centuries later to try and compile the hadith. If the companions didn't record the hadith, I feel like this is definitely a sign that hadith was not meant to be recorded. Besides, I feel like Allah (st) ordered muslims to think and that if you do think about the hadith some of it seems so unlogical and requires suspension of logic to follow it and worse, may even take you away from the straight path.

The traditional sunni islam argument: I do agree that in the quran allah instructed muslims to follow the prophet if they wanted guidance. How should we do that if not through the hadith?

Thank you so much for your help ahead of time. I'm not going to start following a certain movement, (because I feel that following a certain group/movement ends up leading people astray by narrowing your choices by forcing you to accept all the beliefs/thoughts of the group). I am intrigued by the concept of the quranist movement, using the quran alone to find spirtual guidance, and may decide to follow that path.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Salaam Aleykum Mariam

To answer your Question, "in the quran allah instructed muslims to follow the prophet if they wanted guidance. How should we do that if not through the hadith? " i am giving you an excerpt from an article on the Quranists Network site:

"From the traditionalist perspective, following the sunnah of the Prophet is an integral part of the faith and is commanded by the Quran itself. The charge levelled against quranists is of latent apostasy by way of rejecting Muhammad’s sunnah and authority via the renouncing of hadith literature. Rejecting the hadith is to reject the Prophetic sunnah is to reject the Quran is to reject Islam. This type of equivocation is achieved subtly and through levels of reasoning.

It is interesting that the quran never once mentions “sunnah of the Prophet”, but uses the word sunnah in many other instances. Perhaps even more interestingly, 33/38, 33/62, 35/43, 40/85 and 48/23 all refer to “Allah’s sunnah”. The argument for following the “sunnah of the Prophet” thus becomes a non-issue for quranists, given there is no explicit reference endorsing it as a valid source of guidance. That being said, no one claiming to be muslim, quranist or otherwise, would suggest rejecting the example of the Prophet as acceptable. The objection to the traditionalist position is the insistence that the example of the Prophet can only be found via hadith and one who rejects it has in turn rejected the Quran. The reality is the opposite: the only thing containing the example of the Prophet is the quran itself.

The contention of the quranists is that the Prophetic example can actually be determined from within the quran itself, rendering all outside sources unnecessary. The Prophet was only given the quran and was bound by its teachings just like everyone else. His example is in fact enacting of quran. The following are verses from the quran which demonstrate the behaviour and characteristics of the Prophet:

He believed in God (9/61), was aware of Him (33/1) and God was sufficient for him (8/64). He would enjoin the good, forbid the evil and remove burdens from people (7/157). He forbid associating partners with God (3/80). He fought in the path of God with others and did not lose heart and was patient (3/146). He never embezzled or tricked anyone (3/161). He practised judgement and discretion regarding what should be known to who for the good of people (4/83). He judged with the revelation (5/44). He did not speak of things he knew nothing of (46/9). He both urged people to fight in the way of God (8/65) and showed compassion to those at his mercy (8/70). He trusted and forgave believers (9/61). He struggled against ingrates and hypocrites (9/73). He did not seek forgiveness for those who associated partners with God after guidance became clear for them (9/113). Would sujud and cry for God (19/58). He was close to the believers (33/6). He elucidated and gently compared the benefits of this world and the hereafter to those close to him (33/28-29). He gave good news and warned (33/45). Distributed blessings of God to those who were needy and did not allow hoarding of wealth amongst the rich (59/7). Accepted people’s allegiances based on their word (60/12). He taught The Book (62/2). Feared God, did not act against people unjustly and awaited full disclosure of an affair before acting (65/1).

It is clear from the above verses, and no doubt others that are equally applicable to the Prophet, that his example is found in quran. This refutes the claim that hadith literature is the keeper of the Prophetic example. Not only that, the quranist position goes even further and makes the example of all the Prophets relevant to the muslim, unlike the traditionalists who’s “prophetic sunnah” focusses almost solely on Muhammad. "

The full article goes on to give you examples about Prophet Ibrahim from the Quran too. The full article is here http://bit.ly/PropheticExample on the http://quranists.net site

PS "Quranists believe that the Quran is the sole source of Divine Guidance. Quranists believe that upholding the Quran is the best way to obey the Messenger and obey God. Some people think that obeying God is adhering to the Quran whereas obeying the Messenger is following Ahadith collections. Upon closer inspection, 73:16 shows that fa’a?a fir’’awnu l-rasula – Firawn disobeyed the Messenger. It stands to reason that obeying the Messenger and obeying God are one in the same. It is clear that obeying/disobeying the Messenger is nothing to do with Ahadith collections which came centuries after the Quran." ( this excerpt from the article "Hadith Rejection" : http://bit.ly/HadithRejection ) also on Quranists Network site

Salaam and best wishes for your journey on Siratal Mustaqim

• 8 years ago

It is very unfortunate that the Muslim Ummah has split. You have one side that says that the hadith are on the same exact level of the Quran and you have people who say that you shouldn't follow any hadith at all! It is indeed very sad and illogical for someone to reject the hadith of the Glorious Prophet.

>The Quran is passed on to us by Mutawattir narrations.

Mutawattir narrations are narrations by so many people that it is just impossible for all of them to get together and plot and lie. However, we have so many Mutawattir hadith

List of Mutawatir hadith

http://hadith.al-islam.com/bayan/Index.asp?Lang=EN...

that teach things that are not in the Quran.

How can you reject their authenticity with no objective evidence?

List of Quranic verses that Could Be Helpful refuting the false ideology of quranists:

2:129

2:239 (this shows that Allah taught the Muslims how to pray)

2:151; 3:31; 3:32; 3:132

3:31-32

3:164 (messengers are sent to teach the scripture and al hikma could be the Sunna as well)

4:13-14; 4:42

4:59 (shows that Allah and Muhammad are separate to obey)

4:61; 4:64; 4:69; 4:80

4:113 God sent the wisdom

5:92 (the Prophet has to deliver the message clearly, what is the point if he just shows it to them)

7:157 (the Prophet will make things halal and haram for the people, why if they can just read the Quran?)

7:158

14:4 (messenger should make Quran clear)

16:44; 16:64, these verses show that Muhammad was sent to explain the Quran. It doesn’t just mean to proclaim. To proclaim is to ‘baligh’ like in 5:67.

24:54 (the Prophet has to deliver the message clearly, what is the point if he just shows it to them)

24:56 (why keep obeying the Prophet? What else does the Prophet have to say for us to obey him? Why can’t God just say to obey him?)

33:21 (he is an example for us to follow, eg. how to pray etc.)

33:36 (if Allah OR Muhammad made an order it should be obeyed. Clear distinction)

33:66 (why not just say obey Allah, isn’t that enough?)

62:2 (messengers are sent to teach the scripture as well)

64:12 (the Prophet has to deliver the message clearly, what is the point if he just shows it to them)

>Quran Only Muslims try to use the hadith that the Prophet said not to write anything down from him except the Quran. Here is the explanation for it

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=...

http://hadith.al-islam.com/Display/Display.asp?Doc...

Source(s): The Qur’aan tells us, in almost one hundred aayahs, to obey the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). >Common sense indicates the importance of the Sunnah. The fact that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is the Messenger of Allaah indicates that we must believe everything he said and obey every command he gave. It goes without saying that he has told us things and given instructions in addition to what is in the Qur’aan. It is futile to make a distinction between the Sunnah and the Qur’aan when it comes to adhering to it and responding to it. It is obligatory to believe in what he has told us, and to obey his instructions. The ruling concerning those who deny the importance of the Sunnah is that they are kaafirs, because they deny and reject a well-known and undeniable part of the religion.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Some questions for quran-only people to think about:

-Do you really think that you know better (more about the religion) than the Sahaba (the companions of the prophet saws), and even better than the prophet sallallhu alayhi wa sellem himself???

-Also, Rasullulah sallallhu alayhi wa sellem said not to criticize his companions, because they have done more (good) than you could ever hope or imagine.

-Do you not realize that you have introduced a new thing in the religion that has never ever been introduced until these recent times?

Let me ask you an honest question, if you were to die today, would you feel safe and secure in your beliefs, and do you think that your version of Islam would be the one that is accepted in paradise, even though the muslims since the beginning and throughout history (& recent times) held a different belief?

Do you think that by introducing a new thing (bid'ah), and leading people to your own interpretation and desire will save you?

-On what authority do you choose yourselves over the prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sellem and his companions to judge and interpret the Qur'an for mankind?

-If anyone has the authority to interpret the Qur'an for himself, then many mistakes would be made (such as already has happened by people killing innocents, mistreating women, and many other incidents by their misinterpretation).

If anyone can just open the book and make their own judgments based on their whims and desires, then almost anything could be made permissible or not based on that reasoning. If that is the case, then why have the need for prophets to explain it to you, if that is the case, then why have any scholars or Imams to ask them any questions? If that is the case then why have any schools at all? - I mean why go to college and take courses when you can just read the textbooks for those classes???

Why have any professors or scholars that have knowledge on any subject when you can just read that information for yourself and interpret it any way that pleases you???

The misguided sect of al-Qur’aaniyyeen

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3440/%D9%8A%D9%88%D8...

Combat Kit To Use Against the "Quran Only" Muslims

http://www.answering-christianity.com/refutation_t...

A beneficial book refuting many lies of hadith rejectors:

http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Modernists%20And%2...

Source(s): A challenge for the 'quran only' people: Allah say in the Holy Quran (9:118) And [He also forgave] the three who were left behind [and regretted their error] to the point that the earth closed in on them in spite of its vastness and their souls confined them and they were certain that there is no refuge from Allah except in Him. Then He turned to them so they could repent. Indeed, Allah is the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful. If someone were to ask you who these three people were, what would your answer be ? Please share with us the names of those 3 people and why this verse was revealed by only using the Quran i.e. Allah Words only inshaa Allah.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Quranists are ignorant. They reject the Quran, because the Quran clearly says to follow the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) (AKA Sunnah), and no where does it say to follow only the Quran!

The method of Prayer, the method of Hajj, the method of various Islamic practices are found in the hadith! Imam Hanafi, Malaki, Shafi, and Hanbali all justified their school of law's prayers through the hadith!

The Quranists claim that they pray because they are influenced by their forefathers, but they neglect the fact that their forefathers followed these schools of thought, and prayed in accordance to what was ordained by them (through the hadith)!

So, "so called" Quranists are hypocrites, because they are against the Hadith, but they still follow it! The Quran itself testifies to the importance of Sunnah (following/obeying the Prophet (SAW))!

Translated verses:

“O ye who believe! Obey Allah and His Messenger (SAW), and turn not away from him when ye hear (him speak).” (8:20)

“O ye who believe! Give your response to Allah and His Messenger (SAW)…” (8:24)

Surah (59:7) “Take whatever the Apostle (SAW) gave you and stay away from whatever he forbade you.”

“O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger (SAW)” (4:59) translated verse!

The Quran says (Translated): “Obey Allah, and obey the messenger (SAW)” (5:92)

“He who obeys the messenger (SAW) obeys Allah…” (4:80)

Quranists reject these parts of the Quran, and therefore, they reject the Quran! And reject Allah, and reject the Prophets (SAW/AS)!

The more you understand the life of the holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) the more you understand the Quran, this is a necessary pre-requisite!

You can not understand calculus until you learn pre-calculus trigonomentry, algebra, etc.

The holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is the faith of a Muslim, he (SAW) is the mercy on mankind!

The Quran says follow the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)! Those who do not can not call themselves Muslims!

Sunnis and Shias, and all major Islamic schools know this! The Quranists are a small cult-group, no need to worry too much about them!

PS:

Funny thing is that these so called Quranists are mostly non-Arabs, meaning that they can not even understand and read the Quran in it's pure/real form, which is in Arabic. Quranists are most popular in non-Arab countries, and are mostly concentrated in the Western world.

They lack considerable knowledge in Islamic history, figh, jurisprudence, and study.

But like I said earlier, they are a mere group of a few thousand heretics!

No where in the history of the Muslims, prior to the 20th century did such a group exist!

So the so called Quranists can not be the right path, because their religion originated a few decades ago.

Never is there one scholar from the Islamic golden age who was a so called Quranist! Not even one!

No significant or even insignificant figure in early or midieval Islamic history has any mention of such a sect!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Answer these questions for youeself and you will find the way. Insya'Allah.

1. Can you think of God alone when you pray or perform any religious practice?

2. Do you get annoyed when you think about God alone?

3. Search for God deep in your heart and mind. Can you feel His presence? Do you have an urge to worship, glorify, praise Him alone?

4. Do you have an addiction to adding Muhammed's name everytime God is mentioned?

These are the four most important questions we humans must ask ourselves to truly know if we are monothiests.

Monotheism-The religion of the prophets and the messengers. The only religion accepted by God.

One cannot be a monothiest if he upholds both Quran and hadith.

One can be a monothiest only if he upholds God's book alone.

God did not send the Quran for fun and games for us to supplement it with additional man-made material as we please.

God's works are never in vain.

This is the reality of things.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Quranists are not Muslims. They follow the teaching of the Kafir Rashad Khalifa who claimed he is a prophet and he removed verses from the Quran. They believe Rashad understood Quran more than the prophet (SAW).

Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'an:

"And whoever opposes the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the way of the believers – We will give him what he has taken and drive him into Hell, and evil it is as a destination." [4.115]

Be careful, those Quranists are trying to change the religion of Islam to please the west. They make alcohol, adultery, gambling, nudity, ...etc permissible when they are clearly forbidden in the Qur'an.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

For it to be obligatory to follow a hadeeth, it is sufficient for it to be known that it is a saheeh (authentic, sound) hadeeth narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was content to convey his message by sending just one of his Companions, which proves that the hadeeth reported by one trustworthy person must be followed.

Moreover, we would ask these people: where are the aayaat which tell us how to pray, or which tell us that the obligatory prayers are five times daily, or which tell us about the nisaab on various kinds of wealth for the purpose of zakaah, or about the details of the rituals of Hajj, and other rulings which we can only know from the Sunnah?

READ THIS, very IMPORTANT:

Justification for following the Sunnah

http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/604

• 3 years ago

yes the prophet follow the quran and no muslim is a muslim if he said that the prophet did not follow the quran... but the quranist confuse about it...when the prophet follow the quran,,the way he performed it and demostrated that commandment from the quran were called HIS SUNNAH ,, for example quran said

pray

the prophet believe and do it through action and that action is his sunnah

• 8 years ago

Salaam to you,

First of all read the answers given by the followers of the hadith. The only thing they do is ridicule, name-call, and declare followers of the Qur'an kaafirs. What are they basing such conclusions off of? Where in the Qur'an does it say it is wrong to follow only the Qur'an? I pray they will stop the name-calling and instead quote from the Qur'an itself.

GOD teaches 55:1-2

GOD reveals, compiles, protects, AND explains the Book 75:16-19

Muhammad can not guide at his own will, it's GOD who guides 2:120, 3:73, 6:71

Muhammad's SOLE mission was to deliver the Message 13:40, 42:48, 5:99

GOD doesn't need a partner and does not associate anyone in his HUKM (laws and rulings) 18:26. Muhammad DISOWNS your idolatry, 6:19. 6:19 doesn't say "Qur'an AND hadith that have been inspired to me", neither does it say "Qur'an AND Sunnah that has been inspired/revealed to me".

God's sunnah is mentioned in the Qur'an, which verses talk about Muhammad's sunnah/hadith?

May God guide us all.

Source(s): www.free-minds.org www.quranists.net
  • Shah
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

You are following the right path i.e. Quran Alone,

- Don't be impressed by "Majority".

Majority is going to hell and will always be misleading i.e. Ref. 12:103 and 106

- Trust God in HIS words :

God has said that HE has given us a COMPLETE book, that is FULLY detailed:

Ref. 6:114, 115 and 38.

Yes, many sunnis and Hadithites would tell you that "hey" look, the method of Salat is not in the Quran?

Well the first questions one has to ask back are:

1- Is there any Hadith where Mohammad taught Salat. Simple Ans: NOT A SINGLE Hadith.

2- How many logical answers are there in Hadith ??? and to how many things ??

Secondly:

For the surprise of the Hadithites, the details of Salat are in the Quran. I have already listed that in my other answers. The bottom line is that the Hadithites have no guarantees of their own methods, how can they be sure to judge a method.

---

Dear ,

God's guidance comes to THOSE who TRUST HIS words. NOT to those who pay lip service to HIS words and nullify them in all their utterances and actions.

So your instincts have already indicated you the right direction !

Source(s): Reformist Submitter (Quranist) "God Alone, Quran Alone"
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The prophet peace be upon him and his companions were all Muslims Ahl Sunnah Wal Jamaah. Quranism is a sect made many years after the death of the prophet peace be upon him.

If you believe Quranism is right then you are saying the prophet peace be upon him is wrong.

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said, 'My Ummah will get divided into 73 sects one of which will be in Paradise and 72 will be in the Fire.” It was said, O Messenger of Allaah, who are they? He said, “Al-Jamaa’ah.”' Also in one Hadith he said, 'They are those people who will follow this path which I and my Sahaba follow today.' .... Only Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jamaah (aka Sunnis) are following the true path.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.