Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 9 years ago

does a manga count as a book?

My friend said mangas are reading books and I disagree

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have to read to understand them, don't you? On the other hand, you would probably get an F if you used one for a book report in English class. Also, in one sense literature can be any novel, but if you go to Barnes & Noble and look in the literature section you will find what is called classic literature. It all depends on how you decide to define it. It's a matter of semantics.

BTW, don't let anyone tell you this is a lesser form of reading. Novels have their own appeal. Comics and manga are admittedly light reading, but they have their own merits, merits not shared quite the same way with any other medium. Besides, a reader is a reader. I don't know anyone who sticks to just comics for their fiction, it's only natural to expand your interests, and if not, so what? Comics, which includes manga (though I really wish Yahoo would put them in separate categories) can target any age or level of intelligence desired, there is nothing inherent in the medium itself that would somehow make it less legitimate or deserving of recognition. It's in the hands of the creators.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

No. Does not count. I say this as a fan of manga. I say this as an adult with her own personal comic book collection. It does not count. Manga is a wonderful part of a person reading experience, it should not replace books. There is a difference between literature and popular fiction. To truly, fully enjoy the best that Manga has to offer your friend needs a basic reading background. This includes the books they give you to read in school and the books you find on your own because of that list. Teen agnst is all well and good on the pages of a manga but you really know what the author means if you have read The Outsider. And reading about groups of maniacs trying to take over the world and the super heroes who stop them can be put into a different context for you if you have read Lord of the Flies. Gives a whole new meaning to us vs. them. What about Monster after you have read The Invisible man, The Count of Monte Cristo or even The Call of the Wild. And these are just the little boy stories. What about Little Women or the Paper bag Princess?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They are considered to be graphic novels and last time I checked, that was a type of book. I don't really understand what you mean by reading book? If you mean it should be considered to a novel then no, the closest thing to a manga and novels are light novels.

Regardless of that, a manga is a book and you read it. Some of you guys are saying that it's just pictures, well there's a plot along with those pictures -.-

• 9 years ago

Well it's not a CD. xD Yes it's a book it's a Japanese Comic Book. So it's a book. If you mean if it counts as a chapter book than no. A manga has chapters but it's not considered a chapter book to answer your question. ^__^

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

They're not books, well maybe picture books but that's as close as I would call it to a book. Not that I'm hating, I love mangas.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They're books. It's just not the same as a literature book. They're are many types of books: textbooks for school, artbooks for artists, etc. A book is basically something full of pages with a front and back cover. They're all types of books, its just not doesn't always have the same purpose of what your trying to get out of it.

Edit: Whoever gave me a thumbs down, shall now have living proof of what the definition of what a book means. If that's not enough for you, then check the dictionary, I'm sure it'll be a slap to your face. http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&sit...

• SHINe
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

They're obviously books. Maybe not novels, but they're comic BOOKS. Just because they haven't won awards and such doesn't mean they're not books.

• 9 years ago

They are not books as much as they are magazines...

but I guess in a sense they are like picture books...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think they are. Why would they be different? Derp. They're books.

Source(s): I've read loads of them.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.