Is Cohen and ok name for a Christian family?

My son is five and we named him Cohen because we liked the name, we found it is actually a Hebrew name for Priest and in the Jewish religion its a common last name, it comes from the name Kohen or Kohanim.Jewish Kohens are traditionally believed and halachically required to be of direct patrilineal descent from the Biblical Aaron.(Moses Brother) I have also heard that Jewish ppl think its diserspectfuk for ppl to name a child Cohen. I wasnt a born again Christian at the time of my sons birth, but I am now and I am wondering if it was disrespectful to name my Child that? I still love the name I just dont want that worry, most ppl in my Church dont even know anything about the Jewish religion.

Favorite Answer

I think that is a great first name. I always prefer unusual names.

• GIL M

Cohen is generally related to the Jewish faith. But people do from time to time convert, so you may have names that would sound such but are not.

Also people Anglicise, or "cise" their names to fit the environment in which they live sometimes.

Yeah, I have a Jewish friend with the last name 'Cohen' but, I don't see why not.

There is an obligation to be normal. Don't be an idiot. Give your child a normal name.

"Cohen Saddam Hitler bin-Laden" has a nice ring to it

Source(s): I nane babies for a living. Most end up evil or dead for some reason.....

Si, senor.