Can a landlord turn off electricity if rent wasn't paid?

My best friend has been going through a tough time after losing her job and hasn't been able to pay rent, she lost her car and everything, I know the right thing for her is to leave her apartment but she has no where to go and she's a single mom. I believe she's about 2-3 months behind on rent.... show more My best friend has been going through a tough time after losing her job and hasn't been able to pay rent, she lost her car and everything, I know the right thing for her is to leave her apartment but she has no where to go and she's a single mom. I believe she's about 2-3 months behind on rent. Don't ask why she hasn't been evicted cause I don't know why either lol, they serve her with 3 day notices but nothing after that... And one time they served her with a Unlawful Detainer but it was about a week after I went in and paid some rent for her, just a few hundred bucks, they never gave her another 3day notice, just the UD, which is where they messed up, plus the UD had tons of mistakes on it so I'm assuming they tried to be cheap and made something up to scare her... She responded to it, and she never heard back since.
So here's the million dollar question: Can her landlord turn off her electricity because she hasn't paid rent? Because he's been doing it twice a day (she figured out how to turn it back on) for about 4 days now. If he can't do this then what should she do about it? Should she just suck it up and deal with it so she doesn't open a can of worms since her rent hasn't been paid? She's been trying to stay low key while she catches up on rent..
Update: She pays her utilities separately, it is not part of her rent.