What is a microprocessor?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

A microprocessor is the brain of your computer. It does all the calculus, and execute the softwares.

In the same way, the microcontroller is a brain, but it has legs and arms. In other words, it executes the software, but has embedded devices like digital inputs and outputs to communicate with our world, it can have memory inside, real time clock, circuits to drive serial links, sometimes Ethernet or Usb harware included.

The microprocessor hasn't got all the features. It's only a bain, but a big brain.

You can visit my web site for more, with the studies of a microprocessor and of a microcontroller.

It's mainly in french, but I'm working on the translation.

http://sites.google.com/site/microsrobots/home/mic...

Fred.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Well, I had to sit in a several classes for 4 years to get my definition of "Microprocessor" correct!

But it's not surprising that you had this question, the microprocessor is simply brilliant.

In a word, it is the brain of the modern digital computer.

Whatever you do in your PC, be it a calculation, watching a movie or posting a question on Yahoo! Answers, it boils down to elementary calculations at the bit level. That is, ultimately it is all a play of 0's and 1's and the microprocessor does that.

It has units for arithmetic and logical calculations, controlling how data flows inside the computer system and also it's own memory. When you hear of Dual Core or Quad Core processors nowadays, they mean 2 or 4 mini-brains are working inside the brain that is the microprocessor.

Do read the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor

Intel has a wonderful article showing how they are made, a must read http://download.intel.com/museum/sand_to_circuits....

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A microprocessor incorporates the functions of a computer's central processing unit (CPU) on a single integrated circuit. It is a multipurpose, programmable, clock-driven, register-based electronic device that accepts binary data as input, processes it according to instructions stored in its memory, and provides results as output.

Source(s): intel.com dell.com < insert computer website here > < insert relation to my brain > < ect... >
  • Raysor
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

micro=small

processor=electronic circuitry that accepts input of data, manipulates the data according to fixed,or user defined instructions and outputs the result via a readable device.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Micro processor is a small chip,it uses machine language to get command and Execute it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.