Anonymous

Ohio State University or University of Cincinnati, for Computer Science Major?

Ok, I'm a transfer student and trying to find out which university is a better option for me and which one has a better Computer Science program. Does anyone have any ideas, especially the people with computer science major in either one of these Universities

Favorite Answer

Ohio State has a bit better academics, so the main advantage (and it is a big one) of Cincinnati is the Co-op program, which is top 5 nationally. You can not graduate from Cincinnati without completing multiple co-op rotations. This is great because you can make good money, get a periodic break from classes, and likely have a job waiting for you when you graduate.

However, the co-op requirement might be a problem for you as a transfer student depending on how much of your CS degree you already have done. If you are going to do most of your degree at UC, it shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure how it would work if you only have something like a year or two left though. You should probably check with UC and see what they say for your particular case.

Finally, the undergraduate Computer Science program is being phased out at UC for cost reasons. This fall is the last time that the college of engineering is accepting freshman CS students. All students will then be allowed to complete their CS degree and the CS faculty are then moving to the Computer Engineering department.

Source(s): recent Cincinnati computer engineering graduate
  • varona

University Of Cincinnati Computer Science

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): ohio state university university cincinnati computer science major: https://tr.im/b5SN3

For an undergraduate degree, they are very close. OSU has greater funding, spread over a much wider number of students and competing programs. U-Cin is a truly excellent school, especially in engineering. All else being equal, you might just apply to both and if both accept you, run the numbers and go to whichever leaves you with less debt.

Would you be willing to consider a computer engineering degree? In head to head competition for jobs, the engineers almost always prevail - and as another Answerer has commented, the standards for CS have slipped dramatically in recent years.

The benefit from going to UC would be their co-op program. It's excellent and it's nice that doing a co-op is part of your major/required. I don't know that it's like that at OSU. You can do one but you will have to find them on your own, but an advisor will help. It's just easier at OSU to not do it b/c you don't have to, but it's really important. I'm from Cincinnati and went to OSU....Columbus is cleaner/nicer of a city. =) Although I love Cincinnati though too.