Can you tell me about this WW2 rifle?

It is a beautiful rifle. The only thing I can read off the gun is:

U.S.

SPRINGFIELD

ARMORY

MODEL1903.

I229789

My grandad says it was his step father's during WW2. I read an article about common weapons for soldiers during WW2 but I only read about an M1...

Anyone know anything special about this rifle? how much it may be worth now?

• Jon
    Favorite Answer

the M1 garand wasnt the issued en masse until 1943. So from WWI until then the military used the 1903 springfield.

Its amazing that you still have that rifle, youre holding a pretty important piece of history in your hands, and the fact that youre grandfather used it makes it even more special.

Its a fantastic weapon. Keep it.

The US adopted the M1 Garand as its main battle rifle in the 1930s. The previous rifle was the Springfield 1903. However we were so desperate for guns that we restarted production of the 1903 and issued many to the troops and were used alongside the Garand. They both used the 30-06 round so it did not complicate the supply of ammo. It was a very accurate rifle as it was a close knockoff of the original German Mauser. In fact, up to WW One, we had to pay a royalty to Mauser for each 1903 we made. I would recommend you have it looked over before firing it due to age.

The m1903a3 was or is a bolt action 30 caliber combat rifle used to supplement the basic infantry rifle...... the m1 Garand. It also holds 5 rounds. It is a reincarnation of the original m1903 which was adopted in 1929? In good shape probably worth 400 or so.