• Business & Finance >
  • Insurance
  • Business & Finance >
  • Insurance

A notice of non-renewal for homeowners insurance after 20+ years. What are my rights, if any? 30 day warning?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I had a claim last August 2010 due to a leak caused by a branch hitting the roof. Apparently the adjuster noticed then that the roof was not proper since it had asphalt shingles over ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Carriers can "discriminate" based upon underwriting factors. An improper roof and potential further damages from the trees are all legitimate underwriting reasons to cancel your policy. You are going to have to rectify these issues then you will be able to either get the current carrier to keep insuring you or you can look for other carriers. Try these guys in the link below. You won't win the battle of trying to make your current carrier continue the insurance without eliminating the deficiencies.

Source:

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
You gave me the information I asked for succinctly, and a possible source besides. Thank you.
  • 0
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • mbrcatz answered 4 years ago
    I think you completely misunderstand what a "right" is.

Most of the time, the back of that renewal notice tells you how to appeal the nonrenewal notice with your state insurance commissioner - so you'd probably want to do that.

You know, because they sent you that notice, that they are NOT going to renew your policy, at this time. You need to ask your agent, if they'd be willing to stay on the policy IF you get the trees trimmed and the roof problem corrected.

The only one who REALLY knows what's going on, is your agent. Sometimes, an insurance company will use things like this as an 'excuse' to get off of a policy that they don't want to stay on. I've seen this happen, for things like low credit score, or low value homes (under $100,000), or protection class 9 or 10 properties (very rural), or even if your particular agent has a bad loss ratio, and the company is trying to drive him off their books.

So you definately need to put a second call in to your agent - and a call in to a roofer, and to a tree trimmer, to correct these issues.
    • 1
      0
    • Comment
  • jim g answered 4 years ago
    Fix the problem with the and trees. Your agent should take photos and send to underwriting. This will keep the policy from being cancelled.
    What is happening is not uncommon, but easily fixed. (expensive for the roof, I understand, but not as expensive as watching your home burn with no insurance on it.)
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • A notice of non-renewal for homeowners insurance after 20+ years. What are my rights, if any? 30 day warning?
    I had a claim last August 2010 due to a leak caused by a branch hitting the roof. Apparently the adjuster noticed then that the roof was not proper since it had asphalt shingles over wood shingles because that's the only time anyone has examined the roof. The roof was installed as part of the purchase agreement and it was my understanding the roof had been totally replaced. It was not and I now know that to be the fact. Last Friday, 30 days ahead of the end of my homeowners insurance policy year, I got a notice of non-renewal because the roof was not correct and because the trees need to be trimmed. I don't understand why they didn't mention to me that the roof needed attention as soon as they knew, for one thing. Now, since they have sent this notice of non-renewal, I am unable to know if they will continue my coverage if and when the new roof is put on and the trees are trimmed. My agent won't tell me. I have not missed any payments of premiums for over 20 years. I'm just really do not know what to do now. I would really appreciate knowing from someone who really knows what's going on and I'd appreciate knowing some options. Can anyone help me with this?
    Sign In 

to add your answer

2

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock