Does anyone have a list of museums in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area that are free for teachers?

I'm attending a teaching conference in Los Angeles during the last week of July. My colleagues and I were interested in visiting some of the local museums that offer free admission to educators. I know that the La Brea Tar Pits and the Natural History Museum both offer free admission to educators. Are there any others?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You'll also want to visit the Getty Museum, which is free for all.

Natural History Museum: http://www.nhm.org/site/for-teachers

Here's a listing of free museums:

Always Free

California African American Museum, Exposition Park, Downtown Los Angeles

California Science Center, Exposition Park, Downtown Los Angeles

UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History, Los Angeles

The Getty Center, Brentwood, Los Angeles

The Getty Villa, Pacific Palisades

Griffith Observatory

Hollywood Bowl Museum

The Los Angeles Fire Department Museum, Hollywood, only open Saturdays 10-4

MOCA Pacific Design Center, West Hollywood

Paley Center for Media, Beverly Hills

Muckenthaler Cultural Center, Fullerton

The Nethercutt Collection and Nethercutt Museum, Sylmar

Santa Monica Museum of Art (Suggested $5 donation), Santa Monica

STARS Center Sheriff’s Museum, 11515 Colima Rd. at Telegraph Rd., Whittier

Weekly Free Museum Days

Free Every Wednesday

Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology, Claremont - Free Wednesdays

Free Every Thursday

Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), Downtown Los Angeles - Free every Thursday from 5 to 8 pm

MOCA Geffen Contemporary, Downtown Los Angeles - Free every Thursday from 5 to 8 pm

Skirball Cultural Center - Free Thursdays noon - 9 pm

UCLA Hammer Museum - every Thursday

Japanese American National Museum, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles - Every Thursday 5 to 8 pm, and 3rd Thursday all day

Free Every Friday

Long Beach Museum of Art - Free Friday

Museum of Latin American Art, Long Beach - Free on Fridays, check website for Free Family Sundays

Monthly Free Museum Days

George C. Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits, Los Angeles - Free the first Tuesday of the month

Natural History Museum, Exposition Park, Downtown Los Angeles - Free the first Tuesday of the month

Craft and Folk Art Museum, Mid Wilshire, Museum Row, Los Angeles - First Wednesday

Huntington Library, Collections and Botanical Gardens, Pasadena - Free first Thursday of the month. Free advance tickets required beginning Sept 6, 2007, available beginning the 1st of the preceding month (i.e. August 1 for Sept 6).

Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena - 1st Fridays from 6 to 9 pm

Bowers Museum, Santa Ana - First Sunday of the month is Target Free First Sunday.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) - Mid-Wilshire, Museum Row, Los Angeles - 2nd Tuesday, check for other sponsored free days

Autry National Center: Museum of the American West in Griffith Park, Los Angeles - the 2nd Tuesday of the month

Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden - free every 3rd Tuesday of the month

Japanese American National Museum, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles - 3rd Thursday all day

Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena - 4th Friday

• elkins
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you comprehend, the extra non violent a close by is, the fewer reasonable it is going to be. it is in basic terms the way issues are around l. a.. And SoCal customarily, is a particularly jumpin' city. How approximately attempting Eagle Rock? it is northeast of downtown, and is decrease in crime than the a number of surrounding factors. It has a small college, and is present day technique a rebirth. quite some households stay there.

• 10 years ago

I love the Getty! eat at PInk's hot dogs afterwards, it's tradition ;)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.