Does anyone have any good tips on how to become more skilled in drawing?

I've loved all of the art on Deviantart for a while now, and now I want to try out the website on my own and start drawing, but I don't know where to start, what I should draw things on, etc. I'm also not very good at drawing but I really want to give it a try.

PLEASE give me some helpful tips, best answer will get five stars!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Draw the pictures and study the information in the following books. You will learn how to draw anything and learn the fundamentals of drawing. Buy books at Amazon website.

1. You Can Draw In 30 Days by Mark Kistler

2. Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

3. Lifelike Drawing With Lee Hammond

4. Drawing For Dummies by Brenda Hoddinott

LEARN LIGHT AND SHADE:

In order to draw/paint something realistic you must understand how the subject is lighted:

1. Side Lighting

2. Three Quarter/Conventional Lighting

3. Frontal/Front Lighting

4. Top/Overhead Lighting

5. Back/Rear/Rim Lighting

6. Diffused Lighting

7. Stage Lighting.

As you observe how the light falls on the object, your next step is to draw/paint it. The 7 lighting arrangements mentioned above are shaded in 7 different ways on an object using 5 values. In order to make something look realistic, you must use a variety of values from light to dark. Read the book Light, Shade, & Shadow by E.L. Koller for a thorough explanation of light and shade.

Learn to draw/paint the 5 values on an object.

The book, Cast Drawing Using The Sight-Size Approach by Darren R. Rousar uses these 5 terms for the values:

1. Shadow

2. Halftone

3. Light

4. Highlight

5. Reflected Light.

The book, Lifelike Drawing With Lee Hammond uses these 5 terms for the values:

1. Cast Shadow

2. Shadow Edge

3. Halftone

4. Reflected Light

5. Full Light

LEARN PERSPECTIVE:

In order to draw/paint something realistic, you must learn perspective, which is the illusion of depth and dimension on a flat surface. Things look different when viewed from various positions, which is called one point perspective, two point perspective, three point perspective, or foreshortening. If you learn to draw/paint things as it really appears to the eye when looking at it, then your object will be in correct perspective. Read the book, Perspective by William F. Powell.

Graphite Pencils come in the following pencil grades:

9B 8B 7B 6B 5B 4B 3B 2B B HB F H 2H 3H 4H 5H 6H 7H 8H 9H

Reading left to right (9B to 9H), the color range goes from dark to light. The B pencils are dark. The H pencils are light. 9B is the darkest color (black), HB is the middle color (medium grey), 9H is the lightest color (light grey).

Reading left to right (9B to 9H), also shows how soft or hard the graphite is. The B pencils are soft graphite. The H pencils are hard graphite. 9B is the softest and it smudges very easily, HB is in the middle, 9H is the hardest which doesn't smudge at all.

Not all pencil brands are made the same. The color and the hardness/softness of the graphite may vary, so decide which pencil brand you will use and stick with that brand to learn the pencil properties of that particular brand.

Check out "The Color Wheel Company" website and search for the product called the "Gray Scale And Value Finder" chart. This chart will help you learn how to draw the ten colors that will need to be made with your graphite pencils.

The best drawing surface to buy are surfaces that are labeled "archival" or "artist grade" or "professional grade" because they will last a very long time. You can also look for surfaces that are labeled with these words: acid-free, ph-neutral, lignin free, 100% cotton rag, 100% cotton, artist quality, fine quality, high quality, premium quality, professional quality. If you use "student grade" or "scholastic" surfaces your surface will deteriorate alot quicker and possibly turn yellow because these surfaces are made from lower quality materials.

Bristol Board (hot press/smooth or cold press/textured) is excellent for a finished graphite pencil drawing (not for sketches). Try Strathmore 500 Bristol Board which is archival.

An art fixative will protect your drawings (pencil, charcoal, pastel) from smudging. Be sure to read the label and look for the words "matte" or "gloss". Decide if you want your drawings to have a matte finish or gloss finish. If the fixative is labeled "workable" it still allows you to use your drawing medium over the fixative after spraying it. A workable fixative is not permanent, so you will have to spray a final finish coat (permanent fixative) on your drawing or immediately frame it under glass.

Permanent Fixatives: Grumbacher Final Fixative, Lascaux Fine Art Fixative, Prismacolor Fixative

Workable Fixatives: Blue Label Workable Fixatif, Grumbacher Workable Fixative, Krylon #1306 Workable Fixative, Winsor & Newton Workable Fixative

Tortillons or Paper Stumps are spiral wound cones of paper. They help you blend the graphite on the paper for a smooth looking drawing.

Kneaded Eraser or Kneadable Eraser resembles modeling clay. This eraser gently removes the graphite without ruining the surface of the paper. To use it, just dab the eraser on and off the paper using quick movements.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well, I would also suggest that you get a nice descent drawing pad or sketch book and use graphite pencils: 2B,3B,4B,5B,6B and etc. You should really practice on the artist's basic skills like what the first answer just mentioned. I would really practice on line, shapes or form. You could also learn lights and darks. The basics skills are first and then details. I think it is great that you are willing to learn and was inspired by other art work that you saw on DeviantArt! It's good to have some inspiration. I would start with the simple forms like lines,shapes, lights and darks. You should look for anything such as simple objects, place, or a person that you find appeals to you or may like to do a drawing on. I think it would be helpful if you check out some really good Online tutorials that will explain how you can draw a object or a person. There is someone(an artist) who can take you through those steps on how to do it! This takes time, patience, a good eye for detail and a strong desire to make something look realistic that will grab attention! Good Luck and Enjoy!

Source(s): I practiced drawing in my leisure time (personal artist)
  • 9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about a lot of different pencils but just use a regular everyday pencil to start. You don't have to get any special paper but, if you want go to Michael s or Hobby Lobby and buy a drawing notebook. Try to use large markers, or chalk to start as this will allow less detail. As a beginner you will tend to look a lot at your picture but, try not to. This sounds strange but really this is an exercise called contour drawing. If you do this exercise right your drawing won't be perfect but off a bit. In the end this will help you to see and draw what you see not what you think you know. Keep your pencil on the paper don't make little hatch marks. Play around with your drawing tool making thick and thin lines. Make big circles over and over. Have fun.

Ok, now comes the fun. Look at stuff around your house and find squares, circles, cylinders ie. cans, tissue box,paper towel roll, or book. These simple shapes form everything. The more you look the more you will be able to pick out these shapes.

This is just a start and remember everyone can draw. Don't compare yourself to others but, have fun. Later you might consider taking a beginning drawing class at a local art club. I have taught drawing and painting for 20 years and being with others who are drawing is relaxing and exciting because you look at each others work and learn from each other. I can't stress enough not be to hard on yourself in the beginning and just have fun experimenting.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

My professor has always said that everyone can learn to draw. In his drawing classes, the students who could barely draw definitely progressed a lot throughout the semester, although they were not producing magnificent and completely beautiful drawings. You have to be diligent and practice, practice, practice. I do believe that some people are born with an aptitude for drawing, and it comes naturally, and there are some things that can't be learned, but that doesn't mean you can't draw. You have to find a way of drawing that brings you the greatest success, and find your strengths.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well for artists quality you need cartridge paper or any non shiny slightly heavy weight paper; at least 2B, 3B, 6B and HB pencils; a white eraser and a putty rubber. That's kind of a beginners kit.

The first thing you need to look at is simple form and how to create it it with shadow. Try following this tutorial for spheres.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2097618_draw-shade-spheres...

Try this one

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/stepbystepdrawingl...

and this one

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/drawing-lessons/fr...

for cubes

and this one

http://www.draw23.com/drawing-cylinder

for cylinders

Everything else is basically a variation of those forms. Once you've made a start you'll find so many great tutorials online and completely free.

Have fun

Source(s): Artist
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.