Epilation Vs Shaving - which is better?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an electric shaver or an electric epilator - i've had a shaver before (about 7 years ago) and even though it removed visible hairs, it left my legs prickly. I assume the shaver technology is better than it was. I've heard epilators leave your skin nice and smooth... show more I'm trying to decide whether to buy an electric shaver or an electric epilator - i've had a shaver before (about 7 years ago) and even though it removed visible hairs, it left my legs prickly. I assume the shaver technology is better than it was.

I've heard epilators leave your skin nice and smooth but are rather painful, are they really bad or are they tolerable? Do you get used to it (like when you pluck your eyebrows, it just doesn't hurt as much anymore)

Also, I know shaving can make the regrowth thicker - would epilation stop thick stubbly legs??

Which would you recommend I should buy?