What do you think about Malaysia Airlines banning babies from first class?

People in first class are complaining of the babies crying and whatever. Some people think babies and children should be banned all together from flying. What is your take on this?

Favorite Answer

If you have paid a lot of money for a ticket, it is understandable that you don't want to hear a baby crying on the entire flight. It can ruin the experience. However very few people with babies fly in first class so the ban should not affect a lot of people.

As for babies or children not being allowed to fly all together, I think that is wrong. A lot of families would not fly if that was the case. A better idea may be to have babies and children sitting together in a designated section. However this is not something the airlines can force a passenger to do but the idea has been proposed.

I agree with Malaysia Airlines that if I'm going to pay 4 times more money than economy for a first class ticket, I must sure that i do not want to hear a baby crying. When I do sit in economy and I hear babies screaming, I think "well, it's economy, so I should tolerate"

they should allow babies in second class but should prevent in first class.

Although the fair thing would be to say that all First Class passengers PAY to fly first class (whether their mothers with crying babies or businessmen wanting quiet), I think that the whole point of flying First Class is to be comfortable, because you can afford it. Some people flying first class are splurging and do so because they are on a long haul flight, even if they are used to flying Economy. So if it was me paying to fly comfortably in First Class even though it's not in my budget, I think I'd be pretty pissed off if I was being disturbed by a baby. I've only flown Economy, and on one occasion I was on a short flight with my mother and two brothers who sat in the aisle seats. I was stuck next to a woman with a talkative infant boy and a fidgeting little girl. Even then, it still made me angry even though I was in Economy. It was a short flight luckily, but hell. Besides, Business is nearly as comfortable so if a mother is looking to have enough space for her and her baby, there's always that option.

Source(s): Personal experience and opinion

1st and business class passengers are the airline's high revenue bread and butter passengers who are often their most frequent flyers who often fly for business and need to be well rested after a flight. You can't blame an airline that wants to guarantee their best customers a pleasant and comfortable flight.

Then again, babies have rights too. I seriously doubt if there are too many people who are willing to spend the money to fly a baby 1st class, so I doubt if the MAS will lose too many customers by instituting the ban. I guess wealthy passengers with babies can always fly business class if they don't want to fly economy class.

I can't answer for everyone, but if I paid for a first class ticket, I wouldn't want to hear a baby crying, as they usually do during take off or landing. If I had no choice, try and exchange seats, last resort is ask the flight attendant for ear plugs!!!

Source(s): Experience in "First and Business class" of service....
  • Raj

It is the right thing, although a lot may disagree.