promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Friendly fire incident of the 504th Parachute Infantry in Sicily, and who is responsible?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The United States Navy was responsible for shooting down more than 23 of the 144 USAAF transport planes which ended up more than 318 American paratroopers from the 504th Infantry Regiment killed or wounded. This incident took place during Operation Husky during night in July 9-10, 1943. While the planes were in their way to land their troops in Sicily, some Navy sailor got jumpy and nervous and begin firing anti-aircraft guns at Transports planes which led all the others ships begin to join in firing at them assuming they were German and Italian planes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

You can lay responsibility on the US Navy. When the 504th was on it's way to Sicily, some jumpy naval personnel from the invasion fleet began firing on the formation of troop transports. I believe around 20 planes were shot, including the 82nd Airborne Divisions assistant commander.

Source(s): Current Joe, 11B, 82nd ABN, I like history.
  • Wayne
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

US Navy I believe. They were all jumpy and eager probably, and opened fire on the planes carrying the 504th above the Invasion Fleet, mistaking them for German or Italian planes. Something like 20 planes were hit by their own side.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.