Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

Why is shallow, fluffy, commercial music so popular and creative, soulful, intelligent music not?

Whatever genre of music you look at the top 40 are usually not very talented and make commercial and disposable music that just doesn't have the heart that less popular bands in the same genre do.

Top 40 hip hop is all about money, cars, ho's, thugs, etc

Top 40 country is basically shallow pop music that will be forgotten in 5 years

Top 40 Rock is generic and bland and has no edge

Not saying there is anything wrong with listening to shallow music. Sometimes i listen to top 40 music for fun (usually when drunk :P ) but I recognize that it is not hight quality music and appreciate the underground music a lot more.

Favorite Answer

Most people listen to it because it's what's popular.I like stiff with more meaning.All this music that's not popular now will be remembered years from now and maybe even listens to in classrooms.Remember people didn't care much for Mozart in his time now were learning in schools and college and most people heard of him.

Because popularity reflects desire, and in turn, character of music reflects the character of our population. The younger generation is becoming shallower than ever, they can't recognize great music when they heard one. Blaming the parents? Bad influence of media?

I agree with you, a lot of raps song singers don't really have much talent at all, even I can write a song that rhymes if you give me a day. Mainstream artists are just copying each others' styles and what's popular, little creativity is involved.

I'm barely just hit my twenties and while most peers of my age listen to the that kind of music, I remain in the 70s, 80s, and sometimes even 90s, as well as classical music, that where true talent lies

• Zaida

Sheeple. I'm sorry to say it, but sheeple follow and that music leads.

Damn The Man.

because it's what sells. people want to feel happy and upbeat, so they listen to something pillow-y like britney spears, as opposed to feeling dark the way soul music would.

Because society is shallow and society dictates.

Just consider the audience. . .