Proper wording for wedding invitations in unusual circumstances?

My fiance and I have decided that we want to include both sets of parents' names on the wedding invitations, even though my father is the one hosting the wedding. My mother is deceased and my father never remarried. My father has been kind enough to pay for large portion of the wedding, so we want to list him as the host ("John Smith requests your presence at the wedding of his daughter...") but we want my mother's name to be included as well. My fiance's parents are divorced. His father never remarried and his mother has been living as married with her significant other for almost eight years.

What is the proper wording for these invitations? Should we include my FMIL's partner in the invitations, even though he didn't really have much of a part in raising my fiance? How do I honor my mother without making it sound like a ghost is hosting my wedding? And how do we list both of his parents without making it look like they are still together?

• Kiara
    Best Answer

John Smith requests your presence at the wedding of his daughter

(your name)

daughter of John Smith and the late Mary Jane

to

(your fiance's name)

son of Bob Johnson and Jane Bobson

• ?

John Smith and the late Mary Smith

along with John Doe and Jane Doe Jones

request your presence at the wedding of

Marie Smith and Johnny Doe

blah blah blah

I would include your future MIL's partner only if he had an influence in raising your fiancee.

• Woods

Mr. John Smith cordially invites

you to the celebration of marriage

of

Jane Camille Smith

to

Thomas Martin Jones

on Saturday .........

Parents:

The late Mrs. Camille Smith

Ms. Carol Jones

Mr. Carl Jones IV

I like Kiara's idea, but using a small cross (superscript) after your mom's name instead of "late" - that is as long as you're not Jewish. Most likely everyone invited will know that your Mom has passed away, and it will be obvious to them what the cross means.