How do I make my computer better for gaming?

I recently put up the same question but w/o my graphics card spec. I'm wondering how to make it so my computer runs more smoothly with not much lag while playing with better graphics then the bare minimum. When playing blizzard games I always keep all of my graphics on the bare minimum and still I lag and it is very frustrating. I'm the last to load in Starcraft games and people ask me to leave because it's so bad. I know I already asked for legit resources of where I can get cheap components for my computer, but would like more advice.

Computer specs:

Time of this report: 6/27/2011, 23:55:00

Machine name: CAPTAN

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 530

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1014MB RAM

Page File: 787MB used, 1652MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Graphics card:

Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_020D1028&REV_02

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: igxprd32.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4820 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/16/2007 21:16:08, 57344 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: igxpmp32.sys

Mini VDD Date: 4/16/2007 21:16:26, 5760096 bytes

Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions, they really helped me out!

Favorite Answer

Mkay, well there are a few things that you can change or add to make your computer a little faster.

Keep in mind though, that it isn't going to make amazing improvements. It will be much better, but not amazingly better.

First thing you need to add is more RAM (or memory). You really need to have 3GB in your computer. I'd recommend 4GB, but your computer is limited to taking just over 3GB (so adding more is a waste of money).

Second thing is getting a graphics card. The more money you can spend on it the better - within reason. I wouldn't spend more than $200 on it, because any more than that, and you won't be able to use the full power of the graphics card - you will be limited by other parts.

Third, if you are getting the graphics card, get a new power supply. Go for a decently priced one - not cheap. Aim for around the 450w-550w area. Any more than that is completely unnecessary. However, you'd generally be better off paying $50 for a 450w, than $20 for a 550w. Better features in general and less risk of the power supply ruining the computer (or exploding).

This site might be able to help you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-...

Source(s): Superfantabulous brain

I agree with all the answers below. Your best shot would be to buy a new computer all together. I myself play SC2. If u wanna stick with ur current pc, I recommend getting at least 3gb RAM. Your video card is a MUST. Look for a card that meets the minimum requirements or higher for SC2. Your processor isnt that bad but could also use improvement. Id recommend a dual core with at least 2.5.

Overall your main problems are (in order)

Video Card look for one that meets minimum requirements or higher

RAM go for at least 3gb but recommend 4gb

Processor dont worry about this until u get the other 2. Get a dual core with 2.5 or better processor.

Source(s): Blizzard.com

You need a better video card for the most part; you can't really play games with the video chip you have and that means new power supply possibly to support the new video card. Also RAM 1 GB is very little should upgrade to around 4 GB or more. My suggestion is to just buy a new computer it's too much to upgrade your pc and you're upgrading most components anyway might as well just get a new PC.

if buy new PC try these specs

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX $ 80.00

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$ 100.00

ASUS EAH6450 Silent/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card $ 60.00

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/2G $ 21.00

drop me a line