Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

What is the sedation like for getting 4 molars extracted?

I am set to get 4 molars (not wisdoms) extracted for braces (I have a SUPPPEERRRR crowded mouth and my ortho said not even an expander would cut it).

The oral surgeon asked me "do you want to be fully awake during it?"

I answered no... and he said "so IV sedation?"

I answered yes.

Then he turned to the nurse and said "mark her down for "general."

Then he turned to me and said "don't worry. It's true anesthesia. you won't see me or hear me. There's no chances of waking up in the middle like a horror story. it'll be a continuous IV drip"

What does he mean?

What is it like going into the procedure? What is it like when they put the needle in? How long does it take to fall asleep? Will you remember falling asleep? Will you feel them doing the procedure? Will I feel pain? What is waking up like? Will I remember it? How long will I need to stay in the recovery room? How will I get to the recovery room? What happens if I get low on oxygen? what all machines will I be hooked up to--and how? What does it feel like? what is it like when you are actually falling asleep? do you dream? o.O Are you actually asleep or just relaxed? If i am just relaxed won't i feel it?

I am sooo scared. Please answer my questions. :/

Don't try to talk me out of this form of sedation. i get way too much anxiety to not be at least sedated.

It will be at an oral surgery office that is like 3 minutes away from the hospital.

I WILL have an anesthesiologist that works at his office caring for me.

THIS IS FROM THEIR SITE:

In most cases, the removal of wisdom teeth is performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation. These options, as well as the surgical risks (i.e., sensory nerve damage, sinus complications), will be discussed with you before the procedure is performed. Once the teeth are removed, the gum is sutured. To help control bleeding, bite down on the gauze placed in your mouth. You will rest under our supervision in the office until you are ready to be taken home. Upon discharge, your postoperative kit will include postoperative instructions, a prescription for pain medication, antibiotics, and a follow-up appointment. We generally use dissolvable sutures (stitches) that melt away on their own 5 to 10 days after surgery. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at ###-###-####. Our services are provided in an environment of optimum safety that utilizes modern monitoring equipment and staff who are experienced in anesthesia techniques.

Best Answer

Any time you go under general anesthesia, you are taking a risk. I would be concerned about a dentist that told me ". . . and staff who are experienced in anesthesia techniques." My girlfriend is a court reporter and has specialized in medical malpractice for over 20 years. I have heard stories about so many mistakes and one in particular that comes to mind regarding a dentist and a little 5 year old boy. The deposition papers showed that the doctor blamed the nurse and the nurse blamed the doctor in regard to the boy's death as a result of improper anesthesia. The court ruled it an accident and the dentist and nurse are still practicing. The family is without a son.

If you decide to get a general anesthesia, it is imperative that you get an experienced one that is older and you know his record. I suggest getting recommendations from a doctor that you personally know and trust, along with knowing his history and talking with patients he has helped. Today's world is not a pretty place when it comes to medical issues. In July 2004, Gary Null Ph.D, Carolyn Dean M.D., N.D, Martin Feldman M.D., Debora Rasio M.D., Dorothy Smith Ph.D. wrote a paper that revealed very disturbing facts regarding an annual iatrogenic (induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures) death rate of 783,936 in one year. It is further disturbing to realize that as few as 5 percent and only up to 20 percent of iatrogenic acts are ever reported. This means that that iatrogenic death rate of 783,936 is much higher.

As we look at the causes of death from degenerative diseases and other causes in America in 2004, it is obvious we are not good at solving this problem on any level. Deaths from: Heart Disease 652,000, Cancer 553,000, and Stroke 150,000.

When comparing the iatrogenic acts of modern medicine in America with the statistical numbers of people dying of any particular disease, it is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States. And when we look at the cost of these iatrogenic deaths, the cost is in the billions.

A definitive review and close reading of medical peer-review journals, and government health statistics shows that American medicine frequently causes more harm than good. The number of people having in-hospital, adverse drug reactions (ADR) to prescribed medicine is 2.2 million. Dr. Richard Besser, of the CDC, in 1995, said the number of unnecessary antibiotics prescribed annually for viral infections was 20 million. Dr. Besser, in 2003, now refers to tens of millions of unnecessary antibiotics. The number of unnecessary medical and surgical procedures performed annually is 7.5 million. The number of people exposed to unnecessary hospitalization annually is 8.9 million.

I just had surgery and before I agreed to having anything done, I spoke with two doctor friends I work with that I trust to make recommendations. The experience was a good one and each step along the way, I asked questions and the doctor, anesthesiologist, nurses, were very detailed and helpful. It helped me to know that my doctor friend had, had the same surgery performed on him by the same doctor years ago.

Good luck to you

Source(s): Certified Nutritional Therapist B.A. biology & chemistry QRA Practitioner, Author Advanced nutritional research
  • Lisa

You are way too stressed out. They will out in the IV line. It does hurt. They tell you " you'll just feel a little pinch", but thats a big lie. It.does hurt. However, once it line is in. theu tell you to count to 10, and then you usually dont get to that because you fall asleep. You are relaxed, and.you dont feel anything. You will wake up and things will be fuzzy. They leave you there for about 30minutes so you can wake up and be able to walk. They check you to make sure you are not bleeding too much and then you leave .

I got 4 removed for braces awhile back. they gave me 10 shots of novacain. it works pretty well. I didn't feel anything I'm just deathly afraid of needles that was the worst part. but you won't wake up from the general, maybe weird dreams but thats about it