What is causing my computer to crash?

Long story short, my computer has been a massive, massive pain through it's lifetime. Things seemed to just break in it and an accident from a friend caused Dr. Pepper to be spilled inside of it, frying my original hard drive. So far I've been through about four video cards as well, and now when I run some games the monitor goes black and the status light changes as if to say it's awaiting input, as though my video is no longer going from my computer; at this time the audio either goes into a constant loop or goes into that nasty "BBBABBZZBZZZJJLLLLLLLLLTTTTTT" stuff until I manually turn the power off via the power button on front of the computer.

The catch is, this doesn't work with every game, certain ones it'll crash, other's it will not. The original Fallout games run fine, as do all of Sid Meier's Civilization series, Mass Effect 2 and the Tropico group. Other games which do cause it to crash are Battlefield 2, Sid Meier's Pirates, World of Warcraft, Mass Effect 1 (peculiar) and Sim City 4.

Now, I'm not an overly technological person so the only logic I could assume is immediately destroyed in that the newer games are overtaxing, but a consistent trait is older games as well as newer ones cause this to happen and it ultimately leaves me clueless, but is absolutely maddening from time to time. In games prone to crashing, such as Battlefield 2, it can happen as quickly as 10 minutes after launching, other times it can go for hours.

What I need are possible reasons for this, especially provided the terrible status of my computers functionality since I got it. My theory could be inadequate power source due to current video card (which for the life of me I don't know which it is,) or something to do with the fan on the video card (one video card died because my fan on it quit working.......was awesome.)

Any help would be appreciated.

One thing, judging from the first response, that I should have mentioned. I have a setup which runs on a "dual monitor" kind of system (most of the time, the tv is multi-purpose,) one being my computer monitor, which I got with the computer way back when and the other is a new HDTV which I attach to the computer via an HDMI port on the tv to whatever port it goes into in the computer........can't quite figure out what it is called. Would this change anything at all?

I'm not sure what it's called........VGA maybe? the default "monitor to computer" plug, I have that on one end, HDMI on the other. I loaded the game up by setting my display to the HDTV only, shutting the monitor out of the equation completely and ironically my game still crashed, only in this case it just shut down the program, the computer was still alive.

However I go, I can never win >.>

Favorite Answer

Your monitor may not support the resolution the game wants to run at. It is a common prob for old monitors. Try to see if you can change your pc resolution and see if that works. Some games though will change the resolution to suit themselves when they load up.

Sounds like it is changing it. Should be fine to run the game thru the hdtv. I take it its not hdmi to hdmi? You have some kind of converter on the cable? If it is the round one (that is s-video) that most definitely is the problem. you will need a new graphics card if that the case. You may have compatibility issues with the connection of new graphics cards to your motherboard. Most these days are pci express you will have to check if your motherboard supports this.

If it is VGA to hdmi then it wont work because the vga connection is far to slow. Sounds like you will need another grafix card with a hdmi connection. I got one not 2 weeks ago for 40 bux off ebay.

Good luck again

Good luck

All though this seems like a dumb answer and a very obvious one but It seems about time to replace or do drastic repairs on your old computer! If you still wish to cling to it take it a PC repair shop and have them take a good look at it...they'll usually give you recommendations on what Video and audio chips and drives you'll need based on the type of PC you have! And if planning to replace i'd suggest getting a high performance PC with the ability for HD graphics and audio :)

Hope that helps!

confident! The archives which you get carry of from limewire can incorporate any virus that the guy who placed it there needs it to. Downloading from limewire is not any diverse to downloading an email 'attachment' which has been dropped at your unsolicited mail document and is maximum probable a scourge. additionally archives from limewire can incorporate spy ware, a nicely consumer-friendly reason for inflicting a working laptop or computer to 'crash'. whether you have spy ware put in and not a scourge, this might reason as lots harm as a scourge. maximum suitable suggestion to you is, in case you do no longer desire your difficult force to die and choose repairing or perhaps changing, uninstall limewire and doubtless purchase your track!? it might quite artwork out greater inexpensive interior the long-term if the fee of repairing or changing your broken computer is taken into consideration.... in case you will uninstall it, i might restore the computer back to production facility settings and initiate up throughout from scratch to do away with any concern inflicting factors that have been corroding your computer. remember that via in basic terms uninstalling this technique, this would not unavoidably mean that your computer is now secure. the wear it left at the back of can nevertheless be there and energetic. it is greater efficient to diminish your loses and keep each and every of the archives and information you have saved on your difficult force and then restore.... earlier it is too late....