When I apply to college, will the college look at my weighted GPA or unweighted?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. My question revolves around my GPA, and knowing which GPA the colleges will really look at. I take honors and AP classes; therefore, my weighted GPA is higher. But when the admissions office looks at the transcripts do they go off of the weighted GPA or not...For example the avg GPA to get into a school is 3.6, I have a weighted GPA of 3.6, now does that mean I can get in? Or will they other GPA matter more?

-THANKS FOR HELPING! :)

Favorite Answer

First off, just because the school average says a 3.6 GPA doesn't make that the only factor. It is good if your weighted GPA meets that but they will look at many other factors. For instance, if you play sports then they will look at that as part of your application.

As far as colleges only looking at weighted GPA's, it depends on the school's application form. Sometimes you can check them early. Most UC schools, Universities of California, look at only weighted GPAs of your 10-11 grades.

If your non weighted GPA does not match an average, do not worry. If you're taking AP and honors courses, colleges will understand that they are more challenging than regular courses.

Hope this helps.

• mammo

the united statesare the only colleges that evaluate weighted GPAs, and basically grades weighted on their equipment (which your college could or won't be making use of). All different faculties ask for unweighted GPA. It sounds like there is too a great number of a difference between your unweighted and weighted for it to be on the UC equipment, so your extremely weighted GPA for them would be decrease. It sounds like your GPA is purely too low for a stable UC.

I think they look at both. However, when you go to college websites and they say the avg GPA, that's unweighted

colleges look at unweighted GPAs