What is a good non-itchy yarn for my grandpa's cardigan?

I want to knit my grandpa a cardigan for his 80th birthday this December. I don't really know what to do when it comes to yarn. He has very sensitive skin (I got that from him!) and would hate something that's too scratchy or itchy, but at the same time he gets cold a lot so I'd like something with wool in it, whether it be pure wool or a blend of some sort. Do you have any advice? I'm looking at KnitPicks's Swish Worsted, which is 100% superwash merino and is supposed to be very soft but difficult when it comes to washing and staining and such.

Would love to know what other yarns you like that would fit my grandpa and that can be bought online!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Miz T
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Superwash" yarns are machine washable and often machine dryable. The process that makes them "superwash" also makes them a bit harsher than the same plain wool.

The animal hair that is least likely to cause itching is alpaca. Merino is soft, as is cashmere; both of them make me itch. Alpaca does not.

You might want to consider a 75%-25% blend of woolen fibers with acrylic fibers. The blends are both washable and less likely to cause itching. Two I can recommend because I use them often are Plymouth Encore (in either worsted/category 4 or bulky/category 5 weight) and Patons Shetland Chunky (bulky/category 5 weight).

• 9 years ago

Alpaca is wonderfully soft and not scratchy or itchy. It's also quite expensive and needs to be handwashed.

Merino superwash is a good choice for soft "hand" and easier care.

• appel
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Knit Picks Swish Worsted

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Many acrylics are very soft, and not the itchy kind. Many sensitive people (myself included) cannot wear merino or cashmere, no matter what. I would recommend Caron Simply Soft, it is the softest, nicest acrylic I've ever seen. Machine wash, okay to tumble dry...but smarter to hand wash and lay flat to dry. No chance of felting!

Source(s): knitter since 2003
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Donna
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Try this link to my favourite catalogue store.

I too am sensitive to wool, especially when knitting because the fibers become airborne and makes breathing difficult.

I suggest you buy one skein of a blend and make a swatch with it and see how it feels .

Your grandpa is a lucky man to have someone who cares enough to make a warm wearable sweater.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I suggest Merino its wool but non itchy and blissfully soft

Source(s): my knitting
  • t-rexs
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

any baby yarn

the yarns they make for baby articles are super soft and non irritation for the new skin

red heart

bernant

lions

relatively inexpensive too

Source(s): country boy -- mom does hand work
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.