My puppy won't stop whining in his crate?

I just got my new puppy who's almost 9 weeks old. He's a very well mannered dog who is still learning his potty training, so crate training is the best thing for him. He'll sit in his crate and be fine but the second I close the door or go to latch it, he starts whining insanely. I'd love to just... show more I just got my new puppy who's almost 9 weeks old. He's a very well mannered dog who is still learning his potty training, so crate training is the best thing for him. He'll sit in his crate and be fine but the second I close the door or go to latch it, he starts whining insanely. I'd love to just leave him alone and wait until he stops whining but I'm in an apartment and afraid of the neighbors complaining about him and then losing him so soon. I figured a "modified" crate training, which is to block off a small space next to my bed, would be an alternative since he will sleep if he knows I'm close by (and while he's NOT in his crate). If this doesn't work, does anyone else have any other viable ideas? I appreciate the help! Thanks.
7 answers 7