Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Difference between types of Latin?

So I am about to start learning Latin, and I read that there where different types of Latin. Classical, Ecclesiastical, and Medieval. Are those the only types of Latin? and what are the differences between them?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Classical Latin, as Ray said, is what you'll probably learn if you take beginning lessons in Latin.

Medieval Latin is not that different from Classical Latin. By the Middle Ages, there were still people who spoke Latin fluently and used it in their daily lives, but it was no longer anyone's first language. It was the language of church documents, law courts and universities throughout Europe. The grammar remained more or less the same, but some of the vocabulary changed to accomodate new concepts. So, for instance, the word servus means slave in classical Latin, but serf in medieval Latin. Medieval writers also sometimes weren't the finest Latininsts, since it was their second language. Sometimes they composed sentences with the syntax of their native language, and vernacular words had a tendency to creep in as well.

There's a good dictionary of medieval Latin here: http://www.archive.org/stream/MedievalLatinLexicon... .

At the beginning of the Renaissance, scholars of Latin took a radically conservative turn and tried to eradicate all the "new" medievalisms in the language. They tried to emulate the writing of Cicero as closely as possible, effectively turning Latin into a dead language. Ecclesiastical Latin nevertheless carried on with much of the medieval vocabulary. Nowadays they keep a wordlist of Latin words to describe modern things, like umbrellas and car accidents.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_con...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Well, yes. The only kind of Latin you'll run into is Classical Latin. It's basically a deeply literary Latin - a fairly artificial and ultra-complicated register of the language - that upper class Romans used in writing. This is the Latin that we're stuck with, and the one you have to learn.

Most people in the Roman Empire spoke Vulgar Latin: the ordinary "streetspeak". We really don't know much about it - our only samples we have are when posh Roman playwrights had folksy characters using it in their plays. But it's the form of Latin that the Latin-based European languages came from. We do know that it had far less in the way of inflections, and had a lot of different words. Check out Wilkipedia: Vulgar Latin vocabulary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgar_Latin_vocabula...

Generally, Ecclesiastical Latin (and anything else Latin you'll run into) is based on Classsical Latin.

• 5 years ago

there are 8 variations of Latin that have been mixed into 3

• dierks
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

My relatives is Chilean--so I hear an accessory from substantial u.s., Mexico, Spain, and so on. yet there's a Chilean accessory--usually drops the consonants on the top whilst speaking, announces "ll" like j, no y. In Chile i understand there is slang, "chilenismos", no longer utilized in diverse places. some words are diverse u . s . a . to u . s . a . or area to area. In Spain the accessory is lisping. Mexico and Puerto Rico, on the brink of the U. S. have so lots greater English very own loan words. it would be troublesome to inform each and every of the changes. nonetheless, one place can understand yet another. interior the U. S. surely Latin American Spanish is taught greater, it sort of feels our touch is often with Mexico.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.