Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 10 years ago

Is calcium sand ok for leopard geckos?

I have fabric in the tank now but it looks weird. Is calcium sand good?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

NO sand is good. ALL sand is harmful to leopard geckos. Ganal has a great point Calcium sand is WORSE then using regular sand because the gecko could intentionally eat it and it will build upin the geckos stomach overtime. I know Calci sand says on the bag says its safe and digestable that is total BS. Do not use and loose substrate, I would go with either reptile carpet or what I use is slate tiles. I have used them for a long time now and I really like it, it looks pretty nice and pretty easy to clean.

Source(s): 1 leopard gecko on slate tiles
  • ?

Calcium Sand For Leopard Geckos

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awsRz

No, its not. Sand especially calcium sand and all loose substrates can cause impaction ( which can be fatal) and various other health problems such a eye infections, breathing problems, dyed sand will dye the geckos skin. Sand is also very messy to clean up and acts very similar to a cat litter box. The gecko goes to the bathroom and the the crickets, the gecko walk though it, spreading bacteria and possible parasites which then is re-ingested when the gecko eats it either accidentally or on purpose. Also leopard geckos do NOT live on loose sand. They live on rocks and hard packed dirt. If they do some in contact with sand its not loose but well packed. Slate tiles over sand is much safer and far easier to clean. It also looks better and is more natural to what they would live on in the wild.

• Ganal

No, it is more likely to impact your gecko and kill it. Calcium sand because of the added minerals reptiles want to eat it. You can feed outside the tank all you like, the gecko will still go after the sand just for the vitamins. This as a result builds up in their digestive track more and blocks it. Also calicum sand is not digestible. It doesn't matter what the bag or employee says. Also leopard geckos do not live on sand. They live on rocks and hard packed dirt. If they are to come in contact with sand it is not loose.

I instead recommend slate tiles over sand. Its far safer and more natural for the gecko. Its also easy to clean, cheap, and absorbs heat well.

Source(s): I have 3 leopard geckos on slate tiles (2 of the three used to be on sand, the other on walnut shells) My gecko's vets

Generally you can you any substrate that stays dry. The key point when choosing and using bedding is to make sure they do not ingest very much. They can become impacted very easy and that will lead to death. Some recommend feeding them in a separate cage when feeding. If you watch them when they eat and they are not eating very much bedding you should be okay. The calcium sand is completely spherical and made so if they do eat (small amounts) they will be able to pass it.

Source(s): personal experience

A lot of owners avoid calcium sand because sometimes their lizards begin to eat it and eating too much of it will cause them to become impacted. Regular sand hasn't hurt my lizards. I have two beardies.

yes it is good souce of calcium for the gecko. it also reduces impactment and strengthens bones! but for young geckos stick with paper towels but when he gets bigger use the calcium sand.

challenging aspect. lookup from google and yahoo. that will could actually help!

NO NO NO I don't know why they still sell hat crap .It will kill your lizards

confusing problem. seek over the search engines. this can help!