Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why are christians so obsessed with homosexuality?

There are a plethora of social ills in the world, countless atrocities many human beings live in poverty and misery.

Why then are christians fixated on something so benign as sexual preference? What inspires such venom toward homosexuals? Why are you so ready to spew hate and intolerance when your efforts and energy could be used to help your fellow man?

Methinks thou doth protest too much...

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Just keep in mind that there are thousands and thousands of us Christians who find homophobia morally repugnant. But the ones who are obsessed don't have the guts to take on real heterosexual problems like adultery, fornication and divorce, so they create huge anti-gay pressure groups, spend millions and get rich off the fear-mongering. (Check out some time how much the leaders of those groups make annually.) All the while, their followers are so caught up in it that they don't stop and think, "Hmmm, why is divorce not going down, marriages not being saved, fornication not lessening?"

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Speaking as a Christian who is pro-gay rights, I can say not all are, but yes, it's a subject that comes up too often. I cringe whenever it becomes the topic of conversation among other Christians I know. I think there are a lot of reasons for it. 1.) To someone who hasn't experienced what it's like to have any homosexual thoughts or temptation, they can't understand why people do it and it seems so unnatural and "gross" because that's how they would feel if THEY did it and they think everyone is the same deep down (hence, the its a choice argument) 2.) Because they fear that it's spreading like a disease. Over the last 50 years or so, more and more people are coming out. They don't get that there were always a lot of gay people, they think it's getting worse and that it could maybe spread to their own kids or something. 3.) They lobby against the legalization of gay marriage because they're all really afraid that the more WE - as a society as a whole - accept and tolerate "sin" then the more angry with US God gets as a nation... it might not be said out loud much, but there are a lot of biblical stories about entire populations making God mad and him just wiping them out. I think subconsciously Christians are afraid of that. 4.) There are many Christians who know it isn't a choice and doesn't have a cure, but believe perhaps that gay people are just given a bigger burden in life to bear and that those people are called to be abstinent. That being gay isn't a sin in and of itself, only "acting on it" is. 5.) A lot of people are just raised with hateful beliefs towards anybody "different" 6.) A lot of Christians are taught that it's such an abomination to God, that they really feel like they're helping a person by "pointing out their sin"... as if it's going to stop them from being gay and they would have saved the person's soul. It's sort of a mentality of, "I see you walking into traffic, I'm going to say something to stop you before its too late" ...they feel it's their duty to "correct" people. The problem with all of this is the lack of understanding of what their actions are actually doing - which is chasing people out of, and turning people into enemies of the church. Our message ABOVE ALL ELSE, is to love one another! And without understanding it's hard to create love. And if a person isn't willing to understand, they miss the whole point of everything.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Hi there,

Not alll christians are anti-homsexuals.

Quite a few Christians are also homosexuals - the Anglican church and or the Church of England even have Ministers who are openly homosexual - they see the Biblical texts as no longer relevant and good for them.

St Paul spoke against homsexuality and so did the Old Testament in a few places and because some christians take the Bible as the inspired world of god then they think being gay is wrong. However whilst some christians believe it is wrong to practice homosexuality - they accept people who may be gay by implication - it is all rather muddled in the churches and a lot of them prefer to try and ignore it as simply a sinful activity.

It is interesting to note that there is no mention of Jesus condeming homosexuality in the Gospels ...he spoke about Divorce and remarriage but many of the churches have ignored his teaching about that and the Roman Catholics split hairs over the issue. I think they pick and choose what they want to believe.

As regards your comment about protesting too much - you may have a point - I think there is a part of every one of us that is attracted to our own sex - some act on it and some do not - and some are scared stiff to reveal their real feelings.

I say live and let live and just pity the homophobic - who are probably nervous about their own proclivity.

regards Mike D

• 8 years ago

It is complicated, so don't expect a single straightforward answer. I propose the following reasons:

1) It's the one "sin" they never have to worry about, so it makes them feel holier and endowed with a right to judge others, which is a rather intoxicating power.

2) Judgmental Christians often claim that homosexuality is the worst of sins, or one of the worst, but that claim is fabricated and not substantiated anywhere the entire Bible.

3) Homophobia has become culturally entrenched in right wing Christianity, such that many people just toe the line without really giving it a second thought.

4) Gays have an intangible "otherness" that conservatives naturally suspect, just like foreigners, Muslims, and urban dwellers.

5) Conservatives think that social status is permanent, and that attempts to change it amount to destroying society.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I believe that many Christians are obsessed with homosexuality, because it involves feelings that most have had at some stage of their development and it easily marks those who are "different". They don't cry about the other things because they have a distorted view of deviance, Crime in society, environmental destruction, corruption, and poverty lack the same sense of intimacy and innate and unchangeable nature. They seem harder to identify and when identified easier to isolate and punish. Christians can disregard their responsibility for the evil in the world and harp about the immorality of sexual orientation easily stereotyped and condemned.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Attitudes are changing but it is important to realise that a small contingent of those who follow a religion, any religion not just Christianity, are basically following because they gain comfort from the apparent unchanging nature of the church, this stability gives them a sense of being anchored, and many people need that. Given this mindset, any change will be difficult but significant changes such as the gay marriage act, create uncertainty in their mind and consequently hostility usually based around biblical text.Given time this attitude will recede and in the mean time one just has to be patient.

• 7 years ago

We aren't. We don't believe in it and we won't pretend to just to be accepted. Unfortunately, we live in a world that's obsessed with it, it's constantly being shoved in our faces and anyone who doesn't read from the script is demonized and harassed.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Okay, though many Christians are intolerant of homosexuality, that doesn't mean we all are. I'm not intolerant of homosexuality, nor am i obsessed with it, some Christians just see homosexuality as a growing threat. That may sound ridiculous, but it's the truth.

I have had friends in my life who were homosexuals, and you know what? Homosexuals can be good people, and their homosexuality doesn't make them bad people, i honestly don't know why some people can't see past their homosexuality.

• They're all in the closet and need some reassurance of their sexuality before coming out. The only way they see fit to get this reassurance is by discriminating against others, like they've always done throughout history.

• 7 years ago

We aren't: http://apologetics-notes.comereason.org/2013/04/wh...

Also, you think that because we speak out against the sin of homosexuality, that we aren't also helping our fellow man? Methinks thou doth not understand multitasking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.