What is the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy?

I have trouble defining Science Fiction from Fantasy and/or the other way around. I have asked a dozen or so of people from my year group and the response I get is "Sci fi is what could happen and Fantasy is what won't". I understand if the comparison is between (for example) the Terminator and the... show more I have trouble defining Science Fiction from Fantasy and/or the other way around. I have asked a dozen or so of people from my year group and the response I get is "Sci fi is what could happen and Fantasy is what won't". I understand if the comparison is between (for example) the Terminator and the Lord of the Rings but with novels I am a bit confused. I read Harry Potter, a modern-day fantasy series, then I read Lord Loss, and it's apparently Science Fiction.

Furthermore a few months back I visited a bookstore and purchased Shadowmarch, and when I looked at the isle it was labelled "Fantasy/Science Fiction", at that point I wasn't sure which genre of the two it fell under.

My point is, there must be more defining characteristics between the genres than just "Could happen and won't happen"