scared of heart attacks?

I had an ekg and blood tests and seen my doctor who gave me anxiety meds. I am a healthy, though always nervous, 18 yr old with all kinds of chest pains, told it was anxiety. What is tge possibility of me havin a heart attack

Favorite Answer

If your heart is grossly normal in structure and has proper blood flow and valve functioning which they can tell by echocardiogram not enlarged which can usually be detected by X-ray and you don't have a hemodynamically compromising arrythmia your ecg don't shoe anything alarming to the doctor you have to trust them, panic attacks can cause chest pains, ectopic beats, arrythmias, also if your heart has intermittent arrythmia it maybe hard for them to detect if it isn't doing it at the time of ecg that being said judging from post that doesn't seem to be the case, as far as having a heart attack their are many factors generally for a person your age their rare, their are factors like average resting heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol also its important to see how your heart responds to stress like in exercise, it is also important to see how long it takes for your heart to return to at least close to a resting heart rate after exercise, your max heart rate is probably 200 or very close, But like I said I would trust your doctor and if your O.K. to exercise I would recommend jogging especially and try to build up cardio this will also help you realize your O.K. and should help feelings of your going to have heart attack or something, strenuous exercise will help your heart relax more during times of rest and just average activities throughout the day---when I was 21 I started having a large amount of ectopic beats PVC's & PAC's and developed tachycardia(heart rate over 100) and racing heart for sometimes hours at times I had very forceful and painful ectopic beats before I was recommended to a cardiologist my doctor suggested based on a heart monitor recording that I might of had an episode of SVT(severe ventricular tachycardia) and its possible I could have cardiac arrest, then basically sent me on my way next time I had an appointment I asked to be recommended to cardiologist who set up a stress test which proved my symptoms were benign but while I was waiting to see cardiologist around a month cause of the holidays x-mas, new years I was told no strenuous activities which ended up being the worst thing because I became deconditioned and even developed postural tachycardia where my heart would beat up to 130 beats a min from standing up I eventually had to be put on beta blocked metoprolol which for me works very well that coupled with exercise especially jogging it helped me regain a less stressful more accustomed to life their was no explanations for my problems, sometimes these things just happen, I was always fairly active, lifted weights with out supplements, was a normal kid had experienced chest pain and discomfort before but nothing I panicked about, it was suggested to me in the beginning I was having panick attacks especially by nurses or was on some sort of stimulant or drug, I'm doin Great now and Wish you the best- Take it Easy, But Take It____Bigchiefa PS. I read a couple of your other posts Mt Dew has quite a bit of caffeine and could at least be contributing to your problems also you seem like a high stress person all I can say is Relax

Here are a dozen symptoms that may signal heart trouble.

1. Anxiety. Heart attack can cause intense anxiety or a fear of death.

2. Chest discomfort.

3. Cough. Persistent coughing or wheezing can be a symptom of heart failure.

4. Dizziness. Heart attacks can cause lightheadedness and loss of consciousness.

5. Fatigue. Especially among women, unusual fatigue can occur during a heart attack as well as in the days and weeks leading up to one.

6. Nausea or lack of appetite. It's not uncommon for people to feel sick to their stomach or throw up during a heart attack.

7. Pain in other parts of the body. In many heart attacks, pain begins in the chest and spreads to the shoulders, arms, elbows, back, neck, jaw, or abdomen.

8. Rapid or irregular pulse. Doctors say that there's usually nothing worrisome about an occasional skipped heartbeat.

9. Shortness of breath. People who feel winded at rest or with minimal exertion might have a pulmonary condition like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

10. Sweating. Breaking out in a cold sweat is a common symptom of heart attack.

11. Swelling. Heart failure can cause fluid to accumulate in the body.

12. Weakness. In the days leading up to a heart attack, as well as during one, some people experience severe, unexplained weakness.

• Joanne

Talk to your school nurse. Explain your symptoms to them and ask their advice. Chances are it isn't your heart but what you need to do is put your fears to rest. Yes, you are young but it is possible for a young person to have a heart condition. It doesn't matter if you had a blood test and CT scan. If they were not looking for any heart ailments than chances are they would not have found any. There is a blood test they can perform to check levels of certain enzymes but these usually don't show elevated levels uness you have actually had an attack. The CT scan you had may not have shown your heart. Even if it did, they don't show problems inside your heart. There are specific tests to do that. A stress test and a heart catherization procedure will. They can also do a EKG to check and see if there is any suspicious t-waves. The most important piece of advice that I can give you is *if* you are concerned then no matter what anyone here says, get it checked. hese people are not Dr's and quite frankly it isn't their lives we are talking about. It is yours. Explain to your Mom your fears. Have her read these posts. If you are still having the problem today or if it persists, than it needs to be checked. Even if it turns out to be a hang nail, it is better to find out while you still have pulse. Besides, the rest of the girls on the Poms Squad would miss you if something happened. ;)