Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Do mormon missionaries fall in love?

Me and a friend of mine had a big discussion today about just this, if the missionaries fall in love on their missions.. Now, do they? I mean, they are only humans. But what do they do if they fall for a girl? Cause I sort of know that they're supposed to call the mish.pres to be transferred, but do they really? I know I would never want to be away from the one I was in love with..

Do you have any experiences in your life, or stories that you've heard about this?

Favorite Answer

That's why they are supposed to be together with their companion at all times, to avoid temptation.

However, I know of several missionaries who fell in love on their missions. Once they got home, they went back and married them.

Not while on a Mission. Mormons take some things more seriously then others do. It is a different way of looking at the World. It is hard for Non-Mormons to understand that sometimes.

Besides that, if the LDS Misssionary thinks he might really like someone, then he can just wait until after the LDS Mission is over, and if they want to be friends with that other person, and that then leads to marriage, then there is nothing wrong with that.

But when you are on an LDS Mission, then that is what you need to be focused in on one hundred percent of the time, simple as that. Besides that any kind of monkey business will get an Elder in deep trouble, and they are always with another Missionary, so it is virtually impossible for something untoward happening during a Mission (I have never heard of this happening).

LDS Missionaries are true men and they are dedicated servants of Jesus Christ, if that was not so, then they would not be serving an LDS Mission, promoting Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ's holy and righteous commandments, in the first place.

Its highly uncommon.

You have your companion with you all the time, so theres no one-on-one time with whoever you are talking to. Conversations should *mostly* be gospel based, and even when they turn to the more casual it shouldnt be something that personal. And how can you fall in love when you dont get into the personal stuff?

If a missionary is being obedient to the rules, no, it shouldnt happen. If something does happen where they are getting really attached and its affecting their focus then they should let the mish pres know so they can be transferred. And yes that does happen from time to time. Missionaries are guys AND girls, so it can even happen between missionaries in the same district. Same expectations to either handle it, or move, apply.

• j p

It's highly discouraged to court while on the mission. While you are serving the Lord your personal life is left at home. Elder's are told to lock their heart and send the key home. They also do not "fall" in love. Nobody fall's in love. Love is a conscious choice and humans don't spontaneously fall in love any more than they spontaneously fall off bridges. Romantic love and marriage is something strongly encouraged in the church but not on the Lord's time.

I do know of cases where post mission missionaries began to court people they met on their mission and this is kosher. I have some friends who were set up on their first date by their mission president a week after they got home. I have friends who met their spouse through people they met on their mission. I know people whose language skills post mission helped them find spouses. But I don't know of anyone who was already courting or planning courting behavior during their mission.

• Annie

Don't know..... The only ones I have ever met face to face broke up my sons marriage..... the so called *father*, that is the way he was refereed to by the way, slept with and also introduced my ex daughter N law drugs... And I will mention that this all took place while my BABY grandson was present..... So my feelings towards *missionaries* from the LDS are skewed, as you can tell.... go in peace... God bless

and yes I reported the guy.... and NOTHING was done.....

• Elsie

I know of a one who fell in love. She didn't do anything about it while on her mission or give any indication that she was attracted to him, but she kept in touch with the guy's mother and after she completed her mission, his mother invited her to visit. She did and she and the guy got together.

my friend fell in love on his mission; he completed the rest of his mission and then went back dated then married the girl whom he had fallen in love with

The whole missionary process is carefully designed to be dehumanizing and depersonalizing. If a missionary doesn't report it himself, his partner will.

They are never out of each other's sight. They don't use first names, they have limited access to TV and computers and family and friends. They are constantly supervised and their activities graded and measured and tallied.

You mean with each other?

(Since they are always in pairs)