Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Are there any historical atheist leaders, if so what were their names and what did they do?

I've been playing Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution and it has a bunch of historical leaders of the great nations. But I don't think any of them are atheist. Maybe Lincoln was an atheist, but most people call him a "deist".

Are there any great leaders in history who were known to be atheists?

Best Answer

Some good and some bad, I'll link the the Wiki page rather then list them here.

Atheists do not have leaders.

EDIT:

I misunderstood the question.

You wanted to know if any leaders in the past have been atheists. The answer is yes.

There have also been leaders in the past that have had mustaches.

Neither having a mustache or being an atheist in no way determines the way a leader makes their decisions re: politics.

• za

There weren't really any 'proper' atheists (that is those whose lives were directed by the certainty that no god exists) until recently. But you could have people like Stalin and Lenin, and Mao. They were big leaders, and atheists.

• logic

Lenin- Founded the Soviet Union and thus freed man from the shackles of Capitalism

Stalin- Built a strong socialist state that became one of the two most powerful nations on Earth

Mao- Smashed the false idols of Chinese civilization and thus made China strong and glorious.

Source(s): I'm a Maoist. Mao, Stalin, and Lenin are the greatest liberators of man in the history of Humankind.

Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong.

Stalin did some really brutal stuff in Russia.

Mao, led China to become a socialist state.

Well, Stephen Hawking was one of the smartest people ever to exist, and he was an atheist.

No. most atheists remain in the arts, where it matters

Most of the founding fathers of America were atheist.

Stalin was a famous atheist leader.

Joseph Stalin 20 million dissendents killed

Mao Tse Tung 30 - 40 million dissonents killed