Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 9 years ago

What products are available to keep trembling hands stiff?

Products that aide one to wear that has Essential Tremors.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As far as devices to aid individuals with Essential Tremors, I didn't find a lot.

Here is a device project but I'm not sure the stag it is in, includes pictures also:

www.picobay.com/.../Wearable%20Essential%20Tremor%20Suppression%20Device.pdf -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/essential-tremor/...

Physical therapy exercises can sometimes reduce tremor and improve coordination and muscle control. Occupational therapists may suggest some of the following adaptive devices to reduce the effect of your tremors on your daily activities:

* Heavier plates, glasses and utensils

* Wrist weights

* Wider writing implements

Medications

* Beta blockers. Normally used to treat high blood pressure, beta blockers — such as propranolol (Inderal), atenolol, metoprolol and nadolol — help relieve tremors in some people. They may not be an option if you also have asthma, diabetes or certain heart problems.

* Anti-seizure medications. Epilepsy drugs — including primidone (Mysoline), gabapentin (Neurontin) and topiramate (Topamax) — may be effective in people who don't respond to beta blockers. The main side effects are drowsiness and flu-like symptoms, which usually disappear within a short time.

* Tranquilizers. Doctors sometimes use drugs such as diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax) to treat people whose tremors are made much worse by tension or anxiety. Side effects can include confusion and memory loss. Additionally, these medications should be used with caution because they can be habit-forming.

* OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections. You're probably familiar with Botox as a treatment for facial wrinkles, but it can also be useful in treating some types of tremors, especially of the head and voice. Botox injections can improve problems for up to three months at a time. But if it's used to treat hand tremors, it can sometimes cause weakness in your fingers.

There are also surgery options for those that have the most severe cases.

• 9 years ago

I have essential tremor and I have to take a beta blocker called metoprolol to help with the tremors. I haven't found anything that you can wear to keep your hands from shaking, though.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Dopaminergic types may help, like velvetbean (Mucuna pruriens).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.