Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Do you think the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) should be selling guns to Mexican cartels?

Technically the ATF didn't sell the guns directly, they simply encouraged and facilitated the operation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/10/earlysho...

Officials at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) encouraged gun shops to sell thousands of assault rifles and other weapons destined for Mexican drug cartels.

On "The Early Show" Friday, CBS News Investigative Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reported those who defend the strategy say their goal was to let the little fish go -- to get the big fish. But insiders say, in the process, lives were needlessly put in danger.

@peace through blinding force......................

That was funny.......lol

Favorite Answer

Encouraging and facilitating is still actively engaging in a crime.

Worse yet, they FORCED the gun dealers to sell to these people, so that the weapons could be traced allegedly. But they came back and killed two Federal agents.

You wanna know the truth? OK. I'll say it once and once only. Obama and his boys ordered this operation to secretly smuggle guns to Mexican drug cartels, as a reason to snatch up all the guns. If they can prove American weapons killed those agents, they would get support for another assault weapons ban. And once they have an inch, they'll take a mile. And then what? Next it's semi-automatics. Then it's anything over a certain caliber until you're legislated down to single-shot .22s. Then pretty soon those will be outlawed too. And then what? No more Second Amendment. Unlike the brainwashed sheep, I won't sit here and let my rights be eroded away by people who don't want me to have guns.

All I can say is that my guns will NEVER be taken unless they take my life too. They march into my neighborhood, they better be prepared for Waco, Part II.

The entire reason for taking away peoples guns is to essentially kill their political power and probably to eventually kill them too unless we bend to their will.

I know I sound nuts, but hey. Every dictator in history has started with weapons confiscation. Hitler, Mao, Stalin.

It was a half baked idea that backfired in a huge way. Arrogance was displayed by the leaders as many ATF agencies expressed their lack of confidence in this scheme. They were proven right and now some heads should roll that pushed this fiasco.

Is anyone else surprised that they didn't simply _give_ them the weapons?

I would say that the people behind this idea are idiots but it's worse than that. These bastards were really attempting to play politics and blame the gun industry, hopeful that the narrative would lead to even greater restraints on ownership here in the US. Here's to hoping that they all get thrown into prison for many years.

No. I hope they have discontinued this. Think of how many Mexicans were killed. Over 30,000 people have been murdered there in the last 5 years by the drug cartels.

It's a real shame Prime Minister Cheney approved that program back in 2005.

They have always been an illegal government organization. harassing gun owners and now giving guns to the drug runners. It does fit in with the rest of the illegal government.

The U S Constitution. Palin 2012

• ?

The CIA already sells drugs to major cartels which is why we went to Afghanistan, so what the hell else can I say? I would say 'no they shouldn't' but who cares what I think.

• "let the little fish go -- to get the big fish"

Raise your hand if you believe selling a rifle CAN somehow lead you to the buyer's boss.

You with your hand up. You're an idiot.

What else do you expect from a bunch of Chicago Thugs in power---You voted these fools in, now live with their murderous decisions--we have too!

• John E

Everything about this program stinks.

If you attribute it all back to Obama, ABSOLUTELY everything about it stinks more, as he is a proven anti-American socialist. Aid and comfort to enemies? Getting damn close.