Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Atheists would you please walk me through the first five steps of converting to your faith.?

i have tried in the past to convert to atheism to no avail, I want to get it right this time.

lead me to the light & spiritual oneness of being THE ONE.

Favorite Answer

As I'm sure you're aware: there are no such steps; there is no conversion in the religious sense; light is physical and not spiritual; spirituality is probably a view of the mind, which is a physical emergent property and not spiritual at all; and it certainly isn't the sense that one's ego is all important. I shall explain how I arrived at the conclusion I did.

I was religious from childhood, and have always been interested in religions, mythology and science; I was a devout, practising Catholic; I read the Bible, both Old and New Testaments and the Apocrypha, several times; and was taught about it in school.

After studying and thinking deeply about faith, I realised in mid-teenage that faith was based upon nothing but itself, that science explained nature satisfactorily without needing supernatural beings, and that religious beliefs were no different to those of ancient beliefs in gods and goddesses.

When I first had doubts about my faith I thought that maybe this was a test of it, which was an idea planted in my mind by those teaching us about our faith. So I made the effort to accept it even more so. But the doubts came again, and I wondered what would happen if we took faith out of the equation; the world and nature still made sense, so I saw no reason to get back into it. And my understanding is that there's no theoretical or mathematical need for a god or gods, and there's no valid evidence of it or them; so there's no reason to believe. At the time this was difficult intellectually and emotionally (I was a teenager, after all).

That was over 40 years ago, and my escape from faith has freed me to embrace what science has to offer, which I consider far more plausible than belief in the supernatural, and is the nearest we can get to the truth about how nature and the universe work. I've felt a sense of freedom ever since, and am happy and at peace with this. And I've found the humility to admit that I don't know everything, rather than masking this by invoking a deity.

I still have an interest in religions, mythology, folklore and related matters, and am fascinated that people still believe in things that to me are clearly just not true.

• Artist

No faith required!

1. Use your BRAIN!!!!

2. Don't believe everything your are told.

3. Don't expect others to believe the same way you do.

4. Have respect for others.

5. Don't make laws enforcing your beliefs onto others.

6. Don't give money to people that tell you how to think.

7. GET AN EDUCATION!!!

(There are 7 steps.)

• someg

You don't have to convert to atheism. There are lots of wonderful religions out there, Try a few different ones. Experiment. Find the belief system that is suitable for you.

1. grab a bag of potatoes

2. Pick a potato

3. inspect the potato

4. eat the potato

5. continue steps 1-4 above until the bag is empty.

TA-DA! You're an atheist! :D

• Matt

Part 1: Realizing that atheism isn't a religion.

Part 2: Not believing in a God.

There are a lot of gods and goddesses out there, and many of their followers claim that theirs is (or in polytheistic belief systems, theirs are) the only real one(s).

Would you like to eliminate just one, in five minutes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj8hg5CoSw

Youtube thumbnail

Their main website has similar information, applicable to the rest of the gods and goddesses.

Have a rational day.

Atheism is not a faith. You know that.

every one is born an atheist then the brainwashing begins and they are smoked into some faith if you resist the brainwashing you will remain an honest atheist but if lying is your game take the leap of faith

1. Think

2. Think

3. Think

4.Think a bit more

5. Think

1 - begin thinking

2,3,4,5 - see 1